Quite the scenery change


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South
April 21st 2022
Published: April 22nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

So we’ve tired of the rolling hills and verdant greenness (yes, that’s a word) of England, and we’ve decided to try something different. So different, in fact, that we had to get up at 3.30am just to manage the excitement and anticipation. Pleasantly surprised with easyjet’s delivery and promptness, we had landed in Iceland by 7.30 local time and we’re on our way…back on the wrong side of the road.

Quick refuel at a bakery and headed straight to the recent Fagradalsfjall volcano eruption. While we missed the actual eruption by a few months, we were pretty excited to see the steam pouring out of the recent lava. Very cool (yes, ok, or hot) that we could walk right up to it and our budding geologist was fascinated by the ‘souvenirs’ she found along the way.

Next stop was the Krysuvik geothermal area. Geoff was pleased, in the dog’s absence, to have something else to blame for the foul smells, and the kids provided adequate commentary. Meanwhile, the rest of us (me) enjoyed the bubbling water and colourful pools of mud.

Some much needed rest for the kids on the way to Selfoss where we stopped for lunch (mmm hotdogs, but not like the ones in Segesta) and groceries. And icecream. Headed to our Airbnb and got sorted…well, we did, the kids made friends with Depill the lovely dog and pregnant mares in the garden.

Met all the other (non pregnant) horses before getting saddled and having a few practice rounds in the stables. Once they were relatively confident we knew what we were doing(ish), we headed out for a stroll, and sometimes a tolt, along the road. Obligatory photo stop, even if some were camera shy…and some just wanted to eat grass. Back to our cosy cabin for dinner and a very welcome bed!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb