Iceland Tour Day 2


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South » Vík
July 6th 2022
Published: July 18th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We started our 2nd day going back to the Black Sand Beach. We were able to climb some rocks and go into the famous basalt sea cave, which is only accessible at low tide, and see loads of rock nesting birds. The scenery here was stunning. The Legend of the Trolls, the two tall standing rocks, arrived in Iceland as stowaways on Viking Ships and made their homes in caves and cliffs. They stay in the dark to avoid being turned into stone from the sunlight. These two didn't listen. Interesting!

Next we stopped at a couple of churches in Vik on our way to the Vatnajokull National Park and a day of Glacier hiking at Skaftafell. There were Glaciers everywhere in the area. After getting our Crampons, Helmet, Safety Harness and Ice Axe we headed for the long hike up to and onto the Skaftafell Glacier. The glaciers are receding and our guide Mark says in another 30 or so years this glacier will be gone. These glacier tongues/outlet glaciers are amazing places, with crevasses moulins which can drill down to the base of the glacier and amazing vistas to explore. Mark told us about a man who stepped into what looked like a puddle of blue water and went down over 150m and drowned. Another man lost his wallet down crevasse and it was found 5 years later floating in the water.

We had some rain yesterday but this second day was amazing and oh so cool!


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb