Waterfalls! Waterfalls! Waterfalls!


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South » Vík
March 2nd 2018
Published: March 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

First WaterfallFirst WaterfallFirst Waterfall

This guy is quite close to the highway producing a "stop, stop" from both birds. There are actually many falls emanating from this cliff; the next frame has several of them.
Do you enjoy waterfalls? Well we have 'em, lots of 'em. Your trusty travelers obtained a very early start this morning thanks to HP-11:45. Yes, all morning the two birds in the caravan complained bitterly to HP-poor fella. At any rate we traveled ESE along Highway 1, otherwise known as the ring road as it completely circles the island. This is Islanders conception of a super highway-two lanes with a speed limit of 90km (56 mph).

The road was actually quite fine for us as we repeatedly stopped during waterfall alerts. All of the falls we will show you are within a mile or so of the coast and quite close to the road. Most can actually be viewed from the highway, so the birds were often chirping "oh, how beautiful, stop, stop", and HP dutifully obliged.

Finally, as noted earlier and thanks to HP, this was a very late day. We had foolishly made dinner reservations for 6:30 and eventually realized this was not going to occur. The restaurant graciously allowed to us arrive later, and we proceeded directly there without passing go (our apartment), arriving at 7:45.

No Northern Lights yet. The light pollution at out
Several FallsSeveral FallsSeveral Falls

There are actually several more to the left but smaller.
locations has precluded it. We hope perhaps during the next two nights, although the solar activity is low-We'll see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Turf HouseTurf House
Turf House

Home for early Islanders. We imagine these were quite warm.
Secret FallsSecret Falls
Secret Falls

Run off from the waterfall, which is in the background.
Secret FallsSecret Falls
Secret Falls

And the entire falls.
SkogafossSkogafoss
Skogafoss

This guy is just west of the secret falls and much more popular, thus the reason the previous falls are secret.
ReynisdrangarReynisdrangar
Reynisdrangar

Vik's claim to fame. These balsalt rocks are reported by legend to be the remnants of a troll ship wreck.
Full MoonFull Moon
Full Moon

On the way back we capture the moon.


Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb