Land Of Geezer And Rift


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South » Hella
September 29th 2013
Published: September 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Funnily enough, there is a penis museum in Reykjavic. I haven’t been, but I am thinking of making a donation.

Anyway, that’s enough penises (penii?) for now.

Today is Golden Circle day. This is a 200km trip around south west Iceland taking in geysers, waterfalls and the Thingvellir National Park where two continental plates meet creating a rift valley.

First up, geysers ( or rather geysirs, pronounced gay-zeer ).

Geysers get their name from a geyser called Geysir in Geysir (according to some geezer). So this was our first stop. We can’t help being awed by all the geothermal gubbins going on here and Geysir is no exception. There are around thirty geysers and hot pools in the area, the biggest one being Geysir itself. It used to go off quite regularly but has got blocked up by tourists throwing stones into it to try and make it go off !!!

Bloody tourists.

Anyway, the next biggest one is Strokkur, which goes off regularly about once every 5 – 10 minutes and can reach heights of up to 40m, so we weren’t disappointed. It really is another world here.

Next up, Gullfoss, Iceland’s most famous waterfall. Very beautiful (but we have been a bit spoilt in the waterfall department :-).

And finally, Thingvellier (actually, Þingvellir), the site of a rift valley that marks the crest of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge where the North American and Eurasian continental plates meet. They are drifting apart at an average of 2cm a year (they say you can stand with one foot in the Americas and one foot in Europe, but what they don’t tell you is your feet would need to be 40-70m apart). I think I may have given myself a hernia.

Then back to the hotel to gatecrash an Icelandic wedding, the perfect end to a perfect day.

STOOL REPORT

No need. I think they hermetically seal them and little elves come at night to take them away and turn them into gold. I’m rich I tells ya. Rich beyond my wildest dreams.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Strokkur From A DistanceStrokkur From A Distance
Strokkur From A Distance

(That's not a command)


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb