There she blows!


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South » Hella
June 23rd 2022
Published: June 23rd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

There she blows


This morning we don’t have to get up too early because we are camping very close to our first two visits and we’re not travelling too far today either.

We start at the Gullfoss Falls which are amazing. We start on the top viewing decks and then wander down to the lower deck, fully prepared for a good soaking but suitably clad in full waterproofs.

Now we retrace our route back to Geysir…which we passed last night but we’re too tired and muddy to care. The bubbling cauldron here erupts about every five minutes…and sometimes there is a follow on blow. It’s a bit different every time. Some folk are climbing a steep hill to view from above but we don’t have the energy.

We return to the van for an early lunch then make our way back south. There are two ways to go but the sat nav is having a definite phase of ‘computer says no’ about our preferred route. We decide to try it anyway thinking that we may have to turn back if the road turns out to be dire or impassable.

It turns out that the route is fine and we enjoy a very pretty drive through the hills. We also branch out on another ‘there and back’ detour which takes us beside a river and near to snowy mountain backdrops. In theory the route is circular but the second part is more like a dirt track so we opt to return the way we came.

We encounter a large group of horses being driven along the road. Iris at campeasy has pre-warned us about horses and sheep on the road. If you see them stop! You are allowed to pet the horses, they will not bite, but if you maim or kill any animal you must cough up!

For once we arrive at our campsite nice and early. It means we can make full use of the kitchen facilities. And the kitchen is toasty warm too as it’s starting to blow another hoolie outside! Really it’s nothing like UK camping!

We decide on an early dinner and a relaxing afternoon. We’d hoped to be first in the queue for a shower too but sadly this site has none!

We are planning on an early night as campsites are a bit thin on the route tomorrow so we will have a longish drive to fit around our sightseeing!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.908s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1638s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb