Egilsstadir to Djúpivogur - day 4


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » East
May 20th 2016
Published: May 20th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Off of Route 1Off of Route 1Off of Route 1

The terrain has been so very different at every part of the country, Northeast was very snow-covered.
Coming into east Iceland from Husavik last night was a long stretch of road. We mainly stopped at Egilsstadir to sleep and then continue heading out across the country. This morning we embarked on several drives through quaint little towns along the water ways and in the mountains. We saw several waterfalls and did a bit of hiking.

The hike we did was at Fardagafoss, a beautiful waterfall with an interesting folklore tale. The tale goes a female troll used to occupy the land and hide her pot of gold down the stream. On occasion one should be able to see the shimmer of the rod that holds the pot down stream from the falls. During this hike we had tons of laughs. First of, Abby stepped right into a freezing stream trying to cross by balancing on rocks. Secondly, Kellie fell flat on a slippery mud slope (I have a picture of the mud damage).

Coming into Djúpivogur, the drive was stunning. We were aligned with the North Atlantic's bright blue waters and crisp white waves that were crashing into huge rock boulders the entire drive. The sunshine behind the mountain peaks painted a beautiful drive for us.

Approaching the town, we also saw a herd of reindeer walking in a formation alongside the road. It was breathtakingly amazing to see these creatures in their natural habit. We have been seeing some "reindeer crossing" signage for a few days now, with none in sight. Well, today was not that day!

For tonight, we will be relaxing at a local campsite. There is a "high" chance of probability to see the Northern Lights once nightfall happens. Currently there is only 4 hours of darkness here. We will hopefully catch a clear sky tonight to witness the aurora.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The Hike The Hike
The Hike

The folklore is described here on the sign marking the beginning of the hike.
Sad KellieSad Kellie
Sad Kellie

This was post-fall. Muddy knees and elbows, folks. (Oh, and lots of laughs)
En Route to DjúpivogurEn Route to Djúpivogur
En Route to Djúpivogur

Example of the amazing views we had traveling to this quaint Eastern town.


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb