TOUR 08 - Iceland Discovery - Intrepid Travel - THU, 29 SEP 2022 – Day 4


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » East
September 29th 2022
Published: October 4th 2022
Edit Blog Post

THU, 29 SEP 2022 – Day 4: East Fjords/Modrudalur Valley - Start the day by returning to the Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon. Cruise between jagged icebergs in an included boat tour. Then take a scenic drive along the rugged coast of the East Fjords. Enjoy spectacular views of high mountains, deep fjords, spectacular waterfalls, glaciers and quaint fishing villages. Make stops along the way at small but notable towns like Djupivogur, which became a member of the cittaslow movement in 2013 and is aiming to be the Happiest Town in Iceland, and drop by Egilsstadir, home to the mythic Lagarfljot Wyrm. Continue along mountain roads into the highland to the farm village of Modrudalur. At 469 metres (1539 feet) above sea level, Modrudalur is the highest inhabited place in Iceland, and snow can be seen almost year-round. Stretch your legs with a walk to the farm's church, built in 1949 by farmer Jon Adalsteinn Stefansson in memory of his wife. Spend the evening on this unique farm, which is small but rich in history.

Total driving distance approximately 400 kilometres (248 miles), and will take 5—6 hours. Today's drive is all about the stunning scenery with plenty of stops for sightseeing.

UNCLE LARRY'S NOTE: Today was my first day in the "shotgun" seat, and a great day it was. The scenery was stunning. I hope you enjoy it as much as did I.


Additional photos below
Photos: 57, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Jokulsarlon Glacier LagoonJokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon
Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon

Ice Only Appears Blue for a Short Time After Being Exposed to the Air - Very Blue Visible Ice Shows the Iceberg Has Recently Flipped to Establish Equilibrium
Jokulsarlon Glacier LagoonJokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon
Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon

The Trip Guide Provided Interesting Information


Tot: 0.312s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb