Not Hungry in Hungary (bad pun intended)


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary
September 18th 2008
Published: October 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Hungary


OMG!OMG!OMG!

Knuckles - a vegetarian nightmare

On the drive across from Slovenia we saw a significant difference between the two countries, the Hungarian landscape flattening out into broad farming lands and there seemed to be much less wealth in the villages. As the previous blog explained, the drive took a little longer than planned, so we arrived in the dark at the caravan park in Heviz.
With the cute instructions of the old man guarding the front gate we managed to still find a place for the night.


Heviz is home to one of Europe’s largest thermal lakes, with the surface temperature averaging 33 degrees, with around 80 million litres pumping out everyday. There is of course a huge complex of baths set up around the lake where many visitors come to plunge their bodies into the reputedly healing waters. We spent several hours the following morning floating around with all the oldies and their noodles in the outside lake, complete with lilies, as well as enjoying the complex’s inside with its warmer waters.


Sufficiently healed we set off for the enormous Lake Balaton, stopping off in Keszthely to check out the Festetics Palace. Spent the rest of the day driving
Stomach stretchedStomach stretchedStomach stretched

Mission accomplished
along the shores of the lake stopping for lunch and some tourist shopping in Tihany. Refuelled, we drove the remaining distance into Budapest on the motorway and after only one u-turn and some driving through the outer hills we managed to find the camp site we were looking for. Cute little campground which used to be a tram stop on the 58 line. We were going to catch up with John and Larnie here totally by chance, however the rigours of a Contiki tour rendered them incapable of doing so.


Although disappointed at the loss of familiar company, being the travelling troopers we are, we still managed to venture into the city that night. We ended up having a blast anyway, wandering around the Pest district having a beer at a little local pub before finding a bar/restaurant. We managed to order a feast that would feed a starving rugby team. Add a handful of beers and an aperitif and we left with a smile (although painfully full) and a doggy bag to feed a small family.


The next day was spent exploring the city and its sights. First stop was the confronting Terror House, with an extremely comprehensive history lesson in the atrocities handed down to the Hungarian people by the Nazis, followed by the Soviet led communist regime. Leaving a lot wiser and with a sadness for the people of Hungary we walked to the end of the main street to check out Heroes Square and City Park. Wandered the park having a look at both the Castle and the baths situated here.


Around the square there was the unnerving site of hundreds of riot police scattered around the area and some sort of demonstration area was assembled. Decided it was best not to stick around to see what happened given the known neo-Nazi presence in Budapest, particularly when we saw the press camera man was carrying a helmet.


Decided to catch the oldest underground line in Europe (built in the 19th century) back towards the river to continue the sight seeing. Unfortunately the Great Synagogue was shut which houses the Holocaust museum so we headed down to the river to cross over to Buda Hill.


Here we discovered the reason for the very visible police presence, a march for continued democracy was being held and trouble was expected to occur. After some reassurance from one of the coordinating people, we decided to watch the march take place, witnessing this relatively new and fledgling democracy make such a statement was great after learning of their tragic history earlier in the day.


From here we ventured across the Danube to the more touristy Buda area, to check out Buda Hill and Castle. Wandered about here with all the other tourists checking out the sights before heading down to catch the tram home. Got a bit lost on the way back, caught a different bus after our missed stop, without a ticket (rebels we are), and had to walk a bit to find the campground.


Next morning was time to hit the road (no time for these speed travellers) and after a detour north to see a bit more of the Danube and the Bend towns we were heading West again towards Vienna. Drove through some very rural Hungarian towns on the border of Slovakia before crossing into Austria once again, arriving in the capital early evening.

The following day was spent washing, having a brief look around the very extravagant city centre, and getting ready for Kirstyn’s departure back to the UK and on to Australia for the big wedding.
Jas by this stage is now stressing about his solo Eastern Europe adventure…..


















Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Another abandoned border crossingAnother abandoned border crossing
Another abandoned border crossing

Slovenia-Hungary border
Schechenyi FurdoSchechenyi Furdo
Schechenyi Furdo

Thermal Baths


24th October 2008

Budapest
Hi to you both, I have just been to here when I was at Liz and Tunde's it was raining and we drove around Hero;s square as it was closed for a rally that was starting from there - dakka -. Did the usual things that bus trips allow, Buda castle and town centre, some of the others went to the market which they reported as excellent. The flowers were so pretty - pansie's. you are having a wonderful time. Love Antie Val.

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0831s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb