From Gyor to Kamarom by the Hungarian route


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Northern Great Plain » Komarom
September 6th 2018
Published: September 20th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Today proved to be a remarkable day of contrasts as we set off from the beautiful city of Györ, (after a quick tour of the towns highlights and riverside developments) to cycle to Komarno. Busy roads, but mostly with cycle lanes, led us out of the old city, and into the industrial areas, along railway lines and eventually open countryside. That’s where it started to go wrong. The Eurovelo 6 recommended route took us along miles of wet pot-holed trail through forest. Progress was too slow on our skinny tyred road bikes, so be back-tracked to solid ground, and continued on the main roads, through Böny, Bana, Babólna, Acs and on to Komárom. Then over the Danube which forms the border with Slovakia, into Komárno.

This is a beautiful town, the centre pedestrianised, wide streets and elegant squares, including Europe Square, reflecting different styles of European architecture. We had booked ahead the previous night, a hotel close to the city centre. Komarno/Komárom strides both banks of the Danube, we stayed in the Slovakian side which takes Euros. Our hotel (Hotel Banderium) was in a beautiful little courtyard, very comfortable with very friendly staff. We had great advice from one of the receptionists about the next stage of our journey. She advised us to take Slovak route to Erstergom and to take the main road from Cenkov because the alternative cycle path route was too rough. This advice proved very helpful, when be briefly strayed on to the unpaved route, then quickly backtracked to terra firma!

We ate in an Italian restaurant in a quiet courtyard, Dusan Keckes Lux. Great pizza!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb