Chilling out in Budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
April 8th 2005
Published: February 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Heroe's SquareHeroe's SquareHeroe's Square

Such a beautiful day! We were so lucky.
Aaaahhh.... Budapest. Home to the impressive Heroes' Square, the relaxing thermal baths, spectacular views from the Royal Palace on the Varhegy (Castle Hill)... and a heap of other things we didn't get to see because we ran out of time. I was disappointed not to see the roman ruins of Obuda, the park of now homeless communist monuments, Margaret Island in the centre of the Danube and some of the many, many museums throughout the city.

Cathy and I flew in really late last Thursday night and managed to get ourselves to the hostel.... which was not quite the quality place I was hoping for. It was fine there that night but after that I got a total of six hours sleep over the next two nights thanks to the snoring Aussie bloke on the Friday and the loud Americans up talking on the Saturday.

Despite sleeplessness induced delerium taking over out minds, we managed to enjoy our time but we were probably going at half speed to what we could have been. We indulged in a diet of good coffee (a welcome change to the Starbucks and Cafe Nero of London), sausages, potato, sausages, potato and sausages. And THE TOWER OF SUGAR. This is flattened donut like pastry covered in sugar and cooked on a spit like oven thing...mmm... I don't know what it is called in Hungary, or if it is even Hungarian, but I do know it was tasty.

The other highlight was the couple of hours I spent in the Szchenyi baths. Budapest is built over a network of natural hot springs. These are tapped and heaps of baths exist all over the city for people to relax and socialise at. The place I went had nine baths - indoor, outdoor, women's, men's, whirlpool, lap swimming, relaxing.... whatever your mood you'd be satisfied. I went in the outdoor relaxation pool. Old guys huddled around the chess board set up in the pool, exhibitionist couples mauled each other and tourists looked confused and hesitant until they got in and enjoyed the toasty water. It was a beautiful day and I could have spent hours there.

Next stop Munich.... (free flights thanks to a Lend Lease junket in two weeks)






Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



22nd May 2005

lucky
Do you know the show Poilet Guides? If you do, you may know the host Ian Write. The other day on tv I saw him in Hungary. He did some things you did. - VTech
28th May 2005

Sugar tower
This food is called kürtQskalács. It's an original Hungarian food from Erdély (Transylvania, now part of Romania). - Daniel
24th November 2005

sugar tower
Kurtoskalacs means "chimney sweet" as the shape clearly resembles a... chimney. It comes in several flavours, best with cinnamon and vanilla.

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb