BUDAPEST 1


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
April 5th 2006
Published: April 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Menza - BudapestMenza - BudapestMenza - Budapest

Menza on Liszt Ferenc
Ferihegy airport - talk about low key. Clean and tidy but low on amenities it only takes a few moments to realise that it's probably best to get a move on. I normally like to sit down for a while, drink a coffee, maybe grab a bite to eat, but not here. Not that the place is in any way unnattractive you understand, on the contrary it gleams with immaculate communist masonery. There's just vey little to keep one occupied, tha's all. Fortunately they've a minibus system that's amply efficient and after about half an hour later and we are well on our way towards Hotel Pest.
Except my German cohorts are to be dropped off first and so I'm taken on a tour of Budapest's back streets that sends my sense of direction dizzy. The words 'driving' and 'careful' are not tropes that tend to share the same sentence in Hungary, if the capital is anything to go by at least.

Book into Hotel Pest with friendly efficiency, take an imperative shower before putting on clean clothes and heading to the hotel bar to knock back my first bottle of Dreher. About half an hour later I'm joined by my travelling companion and we head down the road to 'Menza' for a spot of tea.

Menza would do the job practically anywhere in the world you cared to go. Polite staff, reasonable prices, gorgeous food and an achingly hip retro decor that brings back distant memories of 1970's department stores. Or Habitat. Not a massive difference these days is there? My first taste of real Goulash sampled and it's off to occupy what little is left of this first night in a number of random hostelries dotted about the surrounding area. First up is 'Harry's' Bar (call of nature - don't go there) then the delightfully shambolic Vittula, the cool mass of Feszek Club and then home. Despite our 17:00 flight arrival we've managed to get pretty plastered. And it's only about 3:00.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.105s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb