Budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
September 7th 2007
Published: September 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Budapest

My apartment in Budapest

Additional maps: Siofok | Novi Sad

I battled an 80's fashion revolution, a ska revival, angry border guards, excessive lard usage, and goose liver...but I survived. And Budapest turns out to be a great city to live in, not just visit. The beer is cheaper than water, beautiful women drive buses, and a day at the baths will cure any hangover. Less than 20 years since the fall of communism and I would say that they are doing pretty good. All in all, as the Hungarians say, "Egészségedre."

The rest of Hungary is a little like the mid-Western U.S. This is pure speculation since I have never been to the mid-West and don't plan on going . Lots of flat land and farms. I visited Lake Balaton, known to the locals as the Hungarian Sea. All I saw was underage drinking and grass on the beach instead of sand. I threw in a picture of Debrecen, the second largest city in Hungary, famous for nothing. I went wine tasting in Eger in the Valley of Beautiful Women. But don't let the name fool you, it's more of a foothill than a valley. Most of the wine is shite, but there is some good Bikaver (bull's blood), a dark and rich red similar to a Syrah.

Statue park is about 30 minutes outside Budapest. After the fall of communism, they had a bunch of heavy statues of communist leaders that they couldn't move, so they left them there and made a park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Castle Hill ReflectionCastle Hill Reflection
Castle Hill Reflection

off the Castle Hill Hilton
Castle Hill Reflection AgainCastle Hill Reflection Again
Castle Hill Reflection Again

off the Castle Hill Hilton
On Margrit IslandOn Margrit Island
On Margrit Island

Margit Sziget


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb