Feeling Hungry in Hungary


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest » Pest
April 11th 2014
Published: April 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

We flew into Hungary last night from Malta via Frankfurt and by time we settled into our suite we decided that it was too late for a big meal. However after wandering the streets a little we ended up back at a little restaurant right next door to our hotel and we settled on a cup of Goulash soup. We were thinking more of our version of a cup of soup and what we got was like a little stainless steel bucket. The soup was extremely tasty and along with the lovely fresh bread we were quite satisfied.

This morning, once we managed to get our act together we set off to find the hop-on-hop-off bus. It was another beautiful sunny day, slightly cooler then we had been experiencing in Malta and it wasn't too long before we came across a young man selling the bus tickets. By 1:00 pm we were riding around on the topless buses being amazed by the beauty of Budapest. The buildings are beautiful and all the parks as we passed by have spring blossoms and the gardens are very colourful.

With the bus tickets we were handed a book of vouchers and we noticed that one was for a bowl of goulash soup from a restaurant by the Citadel, which we took advantage of and it was just as nice as last night.

We then wandered all around the Citadel taking photos of the stunning views of the Danube River and of Buda and Pest. All along the roadside by the Citadel were a number of stalls selling souvenirs of very description. We had a twenty minute wait for the next bus to depart which meant we had time to have a coffee. We are still struggling to find decent coffee.

It was just one stop for us to return to our hotel briefly to drop our gear off, after which we decided to take advantage of another free voucher, this time for a glass of beer. Most of the shops remain open to at least 8:00pm and everybody, locals as well as tourists, are out and about strolling the streets, eating at the sidewalk cafes and in general really enjoying the lovely spring weather. We eventually found the restaurant for the free beer and after noting how nice the other patrons meals looked we decided to have our dinner there. Peter, Cheryl and I chose pork medallions with lesco and hoop potatoes, while Christine chose paprika chicken. Extremely tasty and we were completely satisfied.

We did more window shopping, and checked out the night market stalls. A very pleasant way to end our stunning first day in Budapest


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb