Budapest, First Full Day


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest » Pest
March 13th 2011
Published: March 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hey!
Yesterday we made our way to Budapest.

We got up bright and early to catch the 7:04 train to London. Evan's host was nice enough to give us a lift down to the station! Once we got to London (an hour and a half later) we navigated the underground and took the tube to Kings Cross St. Pancras and caught another train. From their we went to London Luton airport, about a forty minute ride. Then we hopped on a shuttle that took us up to the airport. Our plane was a bit late so we hung around and ate lunch. I had a cucumber and tuna baguette. Numnums.
It took a whille to actually board the plane. It was also more like a bus with wings- there weren't assigned seats, we just sat wherever. Me and Evan got on near the first of the crowd so we got good seats. The flight was about 2 hours and 5 minutes. I slept most of the time. My ears got a bit funny.

When we got here we settled in at the hostel and got some yucky sandwiches at the tesco across the street. We pretty much just stayed in the hostel after that because it was kind of dark and creepy outside, as it is a strange city. Then we planned our day for today and read some Jane Austen.

Today we had breakfast here at the hostel- toast with peach jam. The cheery jam was kind of yucky and the plum stuff was brown and weird looking. After that we headed up to the Hungary National Museum. It was really cool! We were there for hours and looked at stuff about the history of Hungary from it's foundation to 1990s. There was lots of cool stuff to be seen there. There was also a lot going outside of the museum because they are setting up for Revolution day. They were putting up speakers and flags and stuff. There was some guy that wrote a poem and read it off there on the steps. So now they celebrate there every year on March 15. I don't really know the whole story but it sounds kind of neat. We're going to have to stay out of the way on that day because I'm sure there will be tonnnnns of people. There were so many people at the museum today, and lots in their country's colours, red green and white. They also had lots of kids doing workshops. I think that is because Revolution day is this week and they are celebrating their history.

It was past lunch by then so we just snacked and waited til supper to eat. We came back to the hostel, and rested for a bit. We were both thirsty so we went back to tesco to buy some water and stuff. Well, everything was in hungarian so we didn't know what water was what. We decided to go for a brand we'd heard or (Nestle). I thought it would be good to just buy all our water for the week at once so we bought a six pack of big bottles. When we got back to the hostel, we tried some. As it turns out, it was soda water or something... and is really disgusting... and now we just have so much of it... Haha. Later we found a brand that has a couple English words on the back. 'Still' was one of them. So we bought one bottle. It is normal water. Thank goodness. So now we know what to get. I laugh everytime I look at that, what, 9 litres? of carbonated water that we are not likely to drink hahaha. Thank fully Evan also decided to get some iced tea. So we had something to drink. and something to get that horrible taste out of our mouths.

After the water fiasco, we went for a walk. We walked up the street the hostel is on and crossed the Danube river on the Liberty bridge to the Buda side. It was really pretty. We then climbed up some cool looking hill that was like a park. There were paths and stairs and benches and look off points. It had a great view of Budapest and the river. We went all the way to the top (man was that tiring). There were statues and things up at the top and we snapped some pictures.

We decided to play it somewhat safe and went to Burger king for supper. We hadn't looked around and didn't want to make anymore language mistakes. It was fine. The same burger king as anywhere else! We walked around some more after that and checked out this pedestrian street that has lots of restaurants on it. We looked at their menus and prices. We think tomorrow we'll have traditional hungarian goulash for lunch! and maybe strudel for dessert!

And, so here we are. We weren't really feeling being outside when it was all dark and stuff so we got some chocolate (of course) and came back to the hostel.
And that was out day 😊
Tomorrow we're going to see if the market is open and check that out in the morning, grab some lunch... and see what happens. A lot of stuff like museums etc are closed on Mondays. I hope it is not the same with the market.

I will try to get some pictures up while I'm here, but if not I will add them to my entries when I get back to my own computer.

I'll talk to you again tomorrow!

Beth



Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb