The Roman Baths and Other Stories


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest » Pest
June 18th 2010
Published: February 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

One of the highlights in my visit to Budapest was visiting the Roman baths. For Hungarians living in the city, it is a normality to spend time at these wonderful places, just as we might go for a walk in the park. Baths originally were a Roman idea but were also encouraged by the Turks who not only bathed for pleasure but medicinal purposes also. In the 1920's Budapest realised the economic potential and thus in 1934 Budapest was ranked as a 'City of Spas'.

I visited Szechenyi Spa in Aida which was built in the 19th Century. Outside it consists of three pools, one hot, one warm and the other cold and inside houses a multitude of pools, saunas and plunge pools. One can easily spend hours, dipping into each of the pools and then trying their hand at the excruciatingly hot rooms....and then plunging into the ice cold pool....supposedly very good for your health!

Amongst the pools my wonderful brother Oliver and I travelled to a sweet and quaint town, carved into the hillside by the river. The streets were cobbled and history oozed from every house and every view. Please see the pictures.






Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.13s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb