GREECE - Athens & Mykonos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
October 5th 2010
Published: October 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 29/9 we left Wels at 6.30am and Wal drove in the drizzling rain on the autobahn to Vienna passing many trucks on the way. We arrived at Vienna airport at 9.30am and said farewell to the Mercedes. We caught the Olympic Airways flight at 12.30pm and arrived in Athens at 2.30pm which was 3.30pm (an hour forward in time). We caught a prearranged taxi to our hotel and arrived about 4.45pm after striking peak traffic. We had dinner that night at the garden restaurant on the 8th floor of our hotel that overlooks the Acropolis with a striking view of Parthenon Temple.
Thursday 30/9 after breakfast Carol went on an Athens sightseeing tour to the city, Acropolis and the New Acropolis Museum. The tour started with a visit to the Olympic Stadium Arena where the new Olympics started in 1896. We toured around the city before going to the new Acropolis Museum that was only completed last year. It’s built over the top of ancient ruins and had glass floors so you can see right from the top to the bottom and can walk over them. The tour guide talked about the ancient artefacts of the Parthenon Acropolis that are housed inside the Museum. We then walked up to the Acropolis site that showed 360 degree view of Athens city and the sea. Carol arrived back at the hotel at 2.00pm and took a much needed rest. We ventured out that night and had dinner at a traditional Greek Restaurant.
Friday 1/10 we departed our hotel at 6.30am to board the Llydrofoil Ferry to Mykonos at 7.45am. It took 4 hours to travel stopping at 2 other Islands on the way and we arrived at the Petasos Beach Resort at 12.30pm, what a view from our room. Carol went down to the pool for a swim and relax in the sun on the sundecks while Wal had a snooze as he woke up at 3.00am and could not get back to sleep. That night we took a stroll to Platys Gialos Beach and had dinner at the Notos restaurant recommended by our travel agent.
Saturday 2/10 we had a lovely buffet breakfast at our hotel with stunning views of the Aegean Sea. At 10.10am we went on the local bus into Mykonos Township. After an hour Wal had enough of Carol going into every shop she came across and only covered 100 metres and we returned to the hotel. After having a swim and a saltwater therapy Carol returned to the Township to continue her investigation of as many shops she could fit in by 7.00pm (unfortunately many shops closed between 2.00pm and 5.00pm which led to Carol having to search madly for the few shops that were open). Wal met Carol at 7.10pm who was ten minutes late and went to a daily fresh making pasta restaurant to have dinner. We returned to our hotel on the around 8.45pm.
Sunday 3/10 we had a late breakfast today around 9.00am and at 10.40am Carol went back to the Township to continue her shopping (never ending saga and summer sales). She treated herself to Calamari for lunch at the port and returned to the hotel after 2.00pm. It was a beautiful sunny day and we went swimming in the pool till about 5.00pm. That night we went down to Platys Gialos beach 100m down the road from our hotel and bought an icy cold bottle of Henkel Champagne. With the 2 plastic Champagne glasses we brought from Australia we celebrated the magnificent sunset laying on the deck chairs on the beach. Afterwards we went to a nearby restaurant and had baby Calamari for entree and slow cooked Lamb Shanks. We say goodbye to Mykonos tomorrow at 3.00pm and are off to Santorini.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.352s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0881s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb