Spending the day in Naxos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
May 20th 2008
Published: May 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone!

It's been a while... we keep passing by internet cafes, but the beach is so much more inviting...:P

We have been pretty busy in the last few days. Last we wrote, we were enjoying Olympia- the next day was our big travel day to make it across the Peloponnese on our way to the rest of the islands. That was a looooong day, but it was definitely worth it. We woke up bright and early and made our way to the train station, which had a sign saying it opened at 7:30am. Well... according to the Greeks that means 8:00, which was also the time that the first train left. We had to rush to get on the train, but we made it just in time. We had a pretty nerve-wracking trip because nobody we met could speak very good english, even the people we bought our tickets from. Honestly it was just by fluke that we made it to our final destination.

At one point, we got off one of our trains and were in line to buy our next ticket when some man asked us where we were going. We told him we wanted to go to Pireaus and he pushed us back onto the train we had just gotten off of. The whole time we were yelling at him that we hadn't bought our tickets yet, and he was yelling at us in Greek telling us to hurry and get on the train. Turns out, we were able to take the train farther and it was the right one, the strange thing is that the people that work at the train stations don't wear uniforms. We couldn't tell if he worked there, so we didn't really trust him when he shoved us back on the train. But he was right... We ended up traveling by train for about 7 hours total- the ride wasn't too bad but we got really hungry. We were never able to stop to get anything to eat because people kept rushing us onto trains! However, at one point we were able to take a break and we got to watch some baby kittens playing with each other. One of the guys that worked at the train station saw that we were bored so he brought them out for our entertainment. We got some pictures for later! (We don't have the camera cord right now...)

Anyways, right at the end of our train trip we passed through Athens... what a dump. We aren't as excited to go there anymore, but it will be worth it because we are both very excited for Delphi. After the trains we caught a 4 hour ferry to Mykonos. We arrived when it was dark out and there were tons of people with signs trying to get the tourists to come to their hotels. Fortunately we already had reservations, but we couldn't find a cab! A lady from a nearby hotel came to our rescue and drove us to Mama's Pension. She is the german lady, and friends of ours stayed with her when they were in Mykonos last year. Mykonos was alright, the white buildings were pretty cool and we took a half day trip to Delos which was awesome. It has a sanctuary of Zeus at the top of the highest mountain and we climbed all the way to the top!!! It was great, but very hot and lots of lizards everywhere.

We spent lots of our time at the beach, which was wonderful. Believe it or not we are actually developing tan lines! We also ate tons of greek salad which has become a favorite. The weather was great the whole time and we had a lot of fun. After Mykonos we spent a night in Paros, which we both liked better. The hotel we stayed at was like a blast from the past, it looked like something out of a Victorian movie. We spent the morning at the beach, but then the wind picked up a lot so we just did some shopping.

This morning we took a short ferry from Paros to Naxos (where we are now) and the weather is so hot!! When we arrived at the place we are staying they gave us homemade wine and cheese in our room... Once they were gone we tasted both and they were reallllllly *quote* Greek *end quote*. The wine was rather powerful, the first we have tasted in Greece, and definitely the last. It was a nice gesture but I think we'll stick to Fanta. We spent the day at the beach soaking up the sun, and playing a paddle game that we bought in Mykonos. Sean loves this game and makes me play it constantly, but I'd rather just relax :P We are getting pretty good though.

Now we are in search of something to eat, which is one of our favorite things to do in Greece. Seriously.. souvlaki pitas for 2 euro is the way to go. MMM.

Tomorrow we are going to Santorini!! We are pretty pumped, hopefully we will have access to internet again and will be able to upload some more photos.

It was really nice to talk to both of the moms on the phone when we were in Olympia. We miss you guys. We are glad that Mom and Pete are finally painting the bathroom!! Sean is pretty bummed that he is missing a company barbeque...

That's all for now folks!

Love,

Jess and Sean

Advertisement



20th May 2008

Tan Lines?
Don't fret about updating pics so much. You paid for a holiday so enjoy it!!!!! The stories are exciting and we can't wait to see all the pictures when you get home. Have fun, stay safe and I bet we miss you more than you miss us! Love Mom XX :b
23rd May 2008

Mexican!
I hope you went to the Mexican restaurent in Naxos! Best Mexican I have ever had!
26th May 2008

Pretty Please..
Hi mom, I need a favor please! Could either you or dad try to get me a starter for the Prelude so that I can install it this weekend when I get home. Otherwise I don't know how I am going to get to work on Monday... :P Oh and by the way, I lost my drivers license somewhere in Greece... woops Love you lots! Sean

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb