7th July Kavakkoy to Alexandropoulis


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Thrace » Alexandroupoli
July 8th 2015
Published: July 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We were up early & had everything packed up & ready to go by 9.30. We said goodbye to Mike again who told us that if we came back next year he'd be gone as he was retiring...



Off to cross the border at Ipsala into Greece...through rolling fields of wheat, sunflowers & corn. As we approached the border town the road was almost deserted – the locals use the side roads & this main road for Greece was hardly used which probably explains why they make shoddy repairs. It has to be the worst section of road we had used in all our travels. We weren't looking forward to the crossing what with the expected bureaucracy but we sailed through – no customs checks, no nothing apart from passports & the V5 document for Billy. Our road into Greece & yet another deserted road..virtually all the way to Alex.



The young woman at reception recognised us fro last time. She was glued to the TV set with the Greek news channel on looking very worried. When we went for a swim later a few Greeks on holiday had radios on set to the news stations...

I had to laugh when I saw a picture on the BBC website showing a picture of the outgoing finance minister on a motorbike with his wife on the rear – she wasn't wearing a helmet. If they don't recognise their own laws what chance do International laws have...?

Anyway, we cooked dinner & the wind blew the frying pan off the burner onto the floor, but it landed the right way up! Ha! Cathy had bought this frying pan as it was a little smaller than our other (& it was pretty?!) but stupidly it was Teflon on the bottom aswell as inside. Obviously designed by a woman...





It really was hot & had only dropped to 32 by 8.30 pm & the breeze had dropped, so every window in Billy was opened & we put the little fan on to at least help move the air around & went to bed...wondering if the new (UK educated, non triumphal) Greek finance minister was going to pull a rabbit out of his hat...


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



8th July 2015

Beware of Greeks Bearing gifts!
Great updates again guys, good luck going through Greece hope you got enough euros out in Turkey!! X

Tot: 0.351s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0676s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb