Background: Greece achieved its independence from the Ottoman Empire in 1829. During the second half of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century, it gradually added neighboring islands and territories, most with Greek-speaking populations. In World War II, Greece was first invaded by Italy (1940) and subsequently occupied by Germany (1941-44); fighting endured in a protracted civil war between royalist supporters of the king and communist rebels. Following the latter's defeat in 1949, Greece was able to join NATO in 1952. A military dictatorship, which in 1967 suspended many political liberties and forced the king to flee the country, lasted seven years. The 1974 democratic elections and a referendum created a parliamentary republic and abolished the monarchy. Greece joined the European Community or EC in 1981 (which became the EU in 1992); it became the 12th member of the euro zone in 2001.
Photos from Alexandroupoli
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Alexandroupoli
Latest Blogs from Alexandroupoli
- September 13th 2012 Görögország 2012
by Words: 981 Photos: 41
- November 9th 2010 Crossing Greece
by Words: 549 Photos: 9
- October 13th 2009 Where did this wind come from?
by Words: 693 Photos: 5
- October 13th 2009 Tour 2009 - Churches, Mosques & Bath Houses Oh My! - Too Windy to Cycle!
by Words: 289 Photos: 3
- October 12th 2009 Tour 2009 - Churches, Mosques & Bath Houses Oh My! - Winds from Hell!
by Words: 193 Photos: 0
- June 10th 2009 Vergina to Alexandropolis
by Words: 166 Photos: 0
- July 20th 2008 Greece
by Words: 1912 Photos: 11
- August 13th 1990 You Need to Be Determined to Get to Turkey
by Words: 444 Photos: 0