Meteora


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Thessaly » Meteora
July 7th 2010
Published: July 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we took a trip to a town called Meteora, the word means "in midair". It is about 1 and a half from Lamia, it would be closer but we had to travel up and down the mountains. At some point I am going to have to upload some pictures because this place is too hard to explain. The beauty, peacefulness, spirituality, amazment.......it is truly breath taking. In Meteora there are 6 monasteries each on the top of a rock. You wonder how they built these things. They have cable cars that connect some of the monasteries and before there were roads they have cables that hang from the top with a net that could lift things like food...people. Absolutley amazing. The views from here are just phenomonal!!!! The mountains that surround Meteroa and the rocks that the monasteries are on don't look like they fit.

My Frommers Greek book offers this information:

"Many geographers speculate that some 30 million years ago, all Thessaly was a vast inland sea; when the sea receded, sweeping the topsoil along, rock formations were left behind."

"Why did monks settle here, and how did they build anthing large than huts on the rocks atop thses sheer, slippery, seeming unscalable rocks that really do seem to han in midair?" Small wonder that many monks believe that St. Athanasios (founder of the first monastery here) did not scale these rocks, but was carried up by an eagle."

Needless to say.....it is a must see if you travel to Greece!

Today.....the sky is the limit! No plans just go!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb