Running out of Superlatives!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean
June 20th 2014
Published: June 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Cruising the Aegean and stopping at the islands and ports that we did was nothing short of a spectacular revelation for me.

Linguistically, it is almost impossible to adequately capture the essence of this area so my comments for each will tend to be brief for the most part. However, I start with an entreaty to visit this part of the world yourselves if you haven't already done so. Hopefully my pictures will serve as sufficient enticement for you.

Mykonos

A playground for the rich and famous following Aristotle Onasis' "discovery" of its summer vacation uniqueness. Walking through its narrow pedestrianized streets filled with cafes, restaurants and shops was a sensory delight. Homes here cost Euro 400,000 per sq. meter so I had to quickly change my mind about buying. Ha! Ha!

Kusadasi (Turkey)

For reasons that you will quickly realize, this part will be an exception to my intended brevity.

As I start to write this section, I am sitting on deck of the cruise ship alone with my thoughts in anticipation of my visit to Ephesus especially, (although I was to get another surprise that I had not anticipated). It is 5 am and the dull thud of the ship's engines, the distant lights on a nearby island and the shimmering light of the moon on the sea, cause me to ponder the different mission of another who also arrived here by sea some two thousand years ago.

I refer to Saul, the powerful Pharisee from Jerusalem and violent persecutor of the early Christians, who, once confronted and converted by the risen Lord, entreated the people of Ephesus as Paul, the great evangelist. His courage, faith and dedication, even to death, for Jesus, changed the world forever. The verses from Holy Scripture, Ephesians 6:10-17 have been the foundation of my faith, seeing me through several enormous personal challenges and without which, I could not possibly be who and where I am today.

The day at Ephesus itself was an unforgettable immersion into a past that became so very much alive for me. Walking its streets, past temples like Artemis and Niki, shops, the huge library, the 25,000 seat stadium and much more, was a mind expanding journey as our expert guide led us through history step by step. Only 17%!o(MISSING)f the huge site has been excavated but we got an excellent idea of how its 250,000 inhabitants lived. While there was no time to visit it, we saw from a distance, the prison that held Saint Paul.

No visit to this area would have been complete without one to the house where it is said Mary, the mother of Jesus, spent her last days. It was a spiritual experience that I certainly did not expect. As I touched its restored walls and sat there in deep meditation, I could no longer hold back my tears of deep emotion.

For those who are interested in more fascinating detail please go to this site: http://www.sacred-destinations.com/turkey/ephesus-house-of-the-virgin

Patmos

Here we visited the monastery and the cave where Saint John received his visions and wrote the Book of Revelation.

Rhodes

Said to be the No. 1 cruise destination in Europe, this place was special. Passing the remains of Acropolis and the area where the Colossus of Rhodes once stood some thirty meters high, was awesome.

A little anecdote for you. Once we entered the ancient walls of the city, walked past its several crowded cafes and restaurants, a young waiter implored us to have a seat in his cafe. I gave him an instinctive and insincere response for passing on and said to him that "I'll be back later" and continued on my way. It must have been at least ninety minutes later and without giving it much thought, we were walking past the very same restaurant amidst the crowd heading for the port. Unbelievably the same waiter picked me out of the crowd, made eye contact and with a welcoming smile said to me "Welcome back sir!" I was caught dead in my tracks.

Crete

One of the largest islands in the Mediterranean, we spent time in the capital, Heraklion's central square and market place where we enjoyed a frappe and a local delight that our tour manager recommended called Bourgasa. Crete is world renowned for the quality of its olive oil so Jeanette picked some up.

Santorini

This has to be one of the most unique, picturesque and romantic places on earth. My pictures will speak for themselves. I was surprised about many things on this island. As we approached, the top of its sheer cliff looked like snow covered peaks but which were actually the white buildings facing the vast caldera below.

We visited the village of Oia (pronounced E-ah), an hour away from the port to which we tendered from our anchored ship. Crowds strolled the narrow streets lined with high end jewelry and clothing shops, homes, restaurants and cafes. At every corner, picturesque photo opportunities abounded. Of course everyone made sure they captured the famous church with the blue coloured dome.

Twenty thousand people make Santorini their home of whom five thousand are foreigners working there. They produce a unique white grape which grows very low to the ground and which is only harvested at night yielding a sweet red after dinner wine. Naturally we purchased a bottle as well as some of its famous pistachio with honey and sesame seeds to take with us.

In summary, this part of the Mediterannean is a unique Greek paradise which blends luxury, simplicity and a character all its own. Sadly, relatively few will ever get a chance to enjoy it but those who do will be indelibly marked by a style and way of life that can surely claim to be the envy of those who grace its shores but for a while.

And so Santorini ends our cruise on a high. Frankly I had never imagined that I would one day visit this place but the entire segment of our vacation has been remarkable by any measure.

And now, we return to Athens to begin our adventure in the Peleponese. And I can't wait!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Walking the extensive city of EphesusWalking the extensive city of Ephesus
Walking the extensive city of Ephesus

Only 17% of the city has been excavated.
Toilets of marble.Toilets of marble.
Toilets of marble.

There was an elaborate sewage and water system. The original clay pipes were very much in evidence.
The restored library.The restored library.
The restored library.

75% of what you see is original. The rest had to be made so as to erect the building as it was previously.
Inside the walled city where some 5,000 live and work today.Inside the walled city where some 5,000 live and work today.
Inside the walled city where some 5,000 live and work today.

This is the Avenue of the Knights of Saint John.
Remains of the Acropolis of Rhodes.Remains of the Acropolis of Rhodes.
Remains of the Acropolis of Rhodes.

Nearby once stood the famed Colossus of Rhodes which stood some 30 meters high.
Approaching Santorini.Approaching Santorini.
Approaching Santorini.

Jeanette on the forward deck.


22nd June 2014

June 20th Blog
Oh Roger, you are instilling in me a desire to visit Greece! How exciting to visit pieces of history.
22nd June 2014

fantastic
You've got to put all your travels in a book. Reading your descriptions is a joy and like reading a book. Your appreciation and excitment is clear
23rd June 2014

Greece
We've done a bit of traveling and Greece is still one of our favorite countries. Thanks for the memories.
26th June 2014

The young waiter's anecdote
I loved it!
13th July 2014

This is probably the one trip that I will take in the near future. Your spiritual account was moving

Tot: 0.444s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0873s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb