Day 13 and 14 - 15th and 16th June 2013 - Sifnos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Sifnos
June 17th 2013
Published: June 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

SIFNOS IS SMALLER THAN SERIFOS SO WE ARE ONLY STAYING FOR 2 FULL DAYS. TODAY IS SIZZLINGLY HOT AND WE ARE HAVING A LAZY DAY. WE EXPLORE KAMARES. IN THE MORNING. IT IS A SMALL BAY WITH A PORT AND SANDY BEACH WITH THE USUAL TAVERNAS LINING THE WATER FRONT. WAITERS WAITING EXPECTANTLY FOR YOUR CUSTOM. THE SMELL OF HOT BREAD AND CAKES OOZING FROM THE BAKERS AND LAZY CATS SNOOZING ON THE STEPS WHICH MEANDER TOWARDS THE BACK OF THE TOWN. I AM GOING TO HAVE TO TRADE IN MY HUSBAND. OFF HE GOES TO BUY BREAKFAST FROM THE BAKERS AND HE GETS ME A CHOCOLATE CHIP CROISSANT....FOR BREAKFAST I ASK YOU? Seemed perfectly acceptable to me.

WE GO TO BUY OUR NEXT FERRY TICKET TO MILOS WHICH IS 13 EURO EACH AND ENQUIRE ABOUT TICKETS TO FOLEGANDROS OUR NEXT STOP. WE PLAN TO GO THERE ON FRIDAY FOR THE WEEKEND. THE TICKET LADY INFORMS US THAT NEXT WEEKEND IS A PENTECOSTAL 4 DAY BANK HOLIDAY FOR THE GREEKS AND THE FERRIES WERE GETTING FULL ALREADY. THIS MEANS WE HAVE TO MAKE A DECISION NOW ABOUT WHEN WE GO. AFTER A PERUSAL ON THE INTERNET WE FIND THAT ACCOMMODATION IS EXTORTIONATE ON FOLEGANDROS AND NOT MUCH AVAILABLE SO WE DECIDE TO MISS OUT FOLEGANDROS AND STAY LONGER ON MILOS WHICH ACCORDING TO THE GREEKS IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL ISLAND.

In port there was a tall ship. Carol looks at the men in the rigging and knows immediately what her next job should be, swinging through from the sails 100 feet up.

WE GO TO A CAR HIRE SHOP. IT IS OPEN TO ROAM ABOUT FREELY BUT NO ONE IS ABOUT. TIM'S COMMENT WAS, 'IT'S A GOOD JOB THIS ISN'T ESSEX.'I have nothing against Essex, just an observation. 3 VISITS LATER THE DEAL IS DONE. THE AFTERNOON WE SPEND TOASTING ON THE BEACH WITH A FEW PRACTICES OF OUR WATER CEREMONY BEFORE A SWIM.

So why is it that on a hardly packed beach the adolescents who want to play football, do it right next to you. Also all the shade was taken so I had to use my trusty umbrella. The image I was trying to achieve was sophisticated Parisian lady of the late 19th century. I think I pulled it off but Carol wasn't so sure. (WHAT YOUR 'AVIN' A LARF. MORE LIKE A BLOB WITH A BROLLY.)

AT THE TAVERNA OVERLOOKING THE BAY WE WATCH BIG FISH CHASING LITTLE FISH FOR SUPPER AND WATCH SPEEDO GUY WITH A BALD HEAD DO HIS WARM UP EXERCISES BEFORE LAUNCHING INTO THE SEA FOR HIS EVENING EXERCISE. He strode out to sea with jaw and belly jutting. It really looked like it was going to be impressive, especially in front of all the tavernas. WITH GUSTO HE IS OFF ONLY TO DO BACK STROKE SKULLING AND HALF A DOZEN STROKES OF VERY POOR BUTTERFLY.

WE NOW SIT ON OUR BALCONY OVERLOOKING THE BAY. I HEAR RITUAL CHANTING ACROSS THE BAY. TIM THINKS ITS COW BELLS. Might have been goats. THERE IS GREAT MEOWING IN THE STREET WE CAST OUR EYES OVER THE BALCONY IT IS MUMMY KITTEN WITH HER KITTENS. This sentence took a fair while to analyse. (THE CATS ARE VERY LITTLE.)

Today I bought something different from the bakers. I'm not entirely sure what it was but it tasted OK but was apparently, "nice, just not nice for breakfast." It's dry bread tomorrow. (AT MY REQUEST.)

I go down to pick up the hire car. Without so much as a glance at my driving licence he tells me that he has to change his till roll so I can take the car and pay tomorrow when I take it back. It's a small island and the ferry is the only way off so I suppose that gives you a bit of confidence.

We spend the day exploring the island stopping for swims here and there. (ON ROUTE TO THE FIRST BEACH WE PASS A GOAT FARM, I CLICK AWAY MERRILY WITH MY CAMERA THINKING HAPPY THOUGHTS ABOUT FETA CHEESE AND TIM REMINDS ME THAT THERE WAS GOAT ON THE MENU LAST NIGHT, IT RATHER SPOILT THE MOMENT. THE ROADS ARE NOT SO SCARY ON SIFNOS SO I ONLY HAD TO LEAN ACROSS THE CENTER OF THE CAR AND SCREAM AT TIM A COUPLE OF TIMES TO PREVENT US TUMBLING TO OUR DEATHS ON HAIRPIN BENDS.) At the first beach Glypsos we were the only people there. We set our stuff down on a bench and went out for a swim. A large group of people (about 20) with learning difficulties then arrived, (what a hullabaloo they caused) and with the entire beach to choose from carefully placed themselves all around our stuff, so close it was difficult to get back to it. It was really difficult to decide who the supervisor was but there was an extremely thin lady who got quite animated when anyone was going too far out to sea. HER HIP BONE STUCK OUT LIKE A POINTED TRIANGLE. The peace ruined we moved on.

TIM FORGOT ABOUT THE FIRST PLACE WE PLANNED TO SWIM THAT WAS AT HERONISSOS BUT WE FOUND OURSELVES ABOUT 100 FEET ABOVE THE BAY WITH NO OBVIOUS ROUTE DOWN. WE LOOKED DOWN AT THE CHRYSTAL CLEAR WATER LONGINGLY AND WONDERED WHY THERE WAS NO ONE THERE?

FOR LUNCH WE STOPPED AT PANAGIA CHRISSOPIGI A BEACH WITH A ROCKY HEADLAND PERCHED ON TOP WAS A SORT OF CHURCH WITH LOADS OF FLAGS FLYING LIKE THEY HAVE IN NEPAL.

During the afternoon we visited Castro, another picture perfect whitewashed town on a hilltop. It was here that Carol's worst fears were realised when we came across a sign that said there really was a danger of falling over the edge. I wanted Carol to pose for a picture but she couldn't be coaxed so she took my picture instead.

Later we stopped at Vathi Beach for a swim. I'm not sure if it is my animal magnetism but we once again went onto a near empty beach only for a couple of women to pitch next to me. Some may say they just wanted the shade of the tree. I think I may need to change my aftershave. (WHAT DO THEY SAY ABOUT BODY ODOUR?)

In the evening we practiced our habit of the holiday and went to a taverna we felt sorry for because they had no customers. This works quite well because they are very pleased to see you and you get prompt service. You are also liable to get a few freebies. Unfortunately tonight the freebie was a couple of glasses of Grappa. I didn't even know they drank that in Greece. It certainly makes you do the whole shake your head from side to side to take the taste away thing. Because it was a gift and Carol took one sip and refused to go within 30 feet of it I had to drink both glasses. A very warm feeling, just prior to falling over.

Tomorrow its back on Speedrunner3 for the trip to Milos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb