Dreamy Santorini


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
July 16th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Santorini is relatively small so we rented a small four wheel ATV so we could see it all.

We had heard that Oia was the most beautiful part of the island, and that was true. But we decided to stay in Fira since it has a greater selection of the best restaurants, activities, and night life. The people-watching was better in Fira and Oia seemed a bit sleepy for us.

We took a day tour sailing on the Mediterranean. The sailing tour included a guide who took us into the center of the volcano that originally formed the island of Santorini. (http://www.greeka.com/cyclades/santorini/santorini-volcano.htm). The guide also said that an excavation on Santorini has uncovered a civilization that was present at the time of the eruption (3600 years ago). The excavation has shown that the civilization had plumbing and toilets at that time. That puts the ancient ruins in line for the possibility of one day being deemed the city
of Atlantis. (http://www.decadevolcano.net/santorini/atlantis.htm)

The sailing trip also included a sunset view of Oia and a swim in the volcanic hot springs. A saxophonist played jazz music as we watched the sun set off the ship’s stern. It was very romantic.

The highest point in Santorini is a mountain between two small beach communities called Kamari and Perissa. We first visited Kamari and then rode our little 4 wheeler up the cobblestone road to the mountain top. The view was spectacular. Kamari is a beach community inhabited mainly by retired people and families, while Perissa was a beach for people who want to make noise and have fun. We decided to spend the day on the beach in Perissa!

The best restaurant in Santorini was Casablanca with incredible food and views, and romantic music. We also enjoyed Nicolas, the most traditional and celebrated restaurant in Santorini.

Santorini is a dreamy place. I’ll let the pictures speak now. (Our pictures from Athens are down one blog.)






Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 21; qc: 111; dbt: 0.1496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb