Santorini - Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini » Perivolos
September 5th 2010
Published: September 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our day began at 4.20 a.m. Yes, 4.20 a.m. Why? Because we had to catch the bus out of Hania, Crete, to get to Heraklion port in order to catch the 9.45 ferry. But, so, we did it.
Arriving at Santorini port was an experience. We had read about the domatia touts who descend on you like seagulls on a crust of bread. And is is very daunting. They all talk at once, one of them had hold of my arm.... I just looked at John who was standing watching this whole scene of his wife surrounded by manic Greeks. Why wasnt he rescuing me??? So I just barged through the lot of them into a wonderful man who showed me a delightful looking villa, 30 euros per night, with swimming pool and air con. What a knight in shining armour. It was a done deal. Questioning John later on, why hadnt he rescued me.... he said he thought I looked like I was doing OK. Hmmmm.
Anyway, Santorini is stunning.... white houses, blue domes.... but, the hills.... OMG the hills and steps, its like climbing Steep Hill in Lincoln for EVER, ( if any one knows what that is like..). And the other thing, its all geared up for the cruise ships. Very expensive shops and eateries. But stunning all the same.
Next day we took the bus to Oia, 20 km to the north of Thira where we were staying. Another stunningly beautiful village, set almost entirely on the cliff street over looking the sea. The Caldera - cliffs, houses, villas, looking down to the volcanic island that destroyed Santorini about 5000 years ago, and also erupted in the 1960's I beleive.
For all its beauty tho, I'm not sure about its authenticity..... it just has a feel of tourism, tourism and a bit more tourism. But thats OK.... we have already, and will later on find the more true Greek places, I'm sure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Donkeys coming up from the port.Donkeys coming up from the port.
Donkeys coming up from the port.

They are to bring up the people from the cruises to the town of Thira. Cant have them walking... oooh no.
Night time view of the cathedralNight time view of the cathedral
Night time view of the cathedral

The next day, we watched men standing on the dome, cleaning and painting it, with just a rope to hold onto....
Greek saladGreek salad
Greek salad

We sat and ate in a cliff top restaurant overlooking the sea. Beautiful.


12th September 2010

Hiking!
What a wonderful way to lose weight with all your hiking. You both look great! I am enchanted with the pics. Happy days !, Love,Susan xxxx
19th November 2010

accomodation
What was the name of the place you stayed at on Santorini ? Do you have pictures of the villa? contact info ? . we were there in 2009 and spent too much on hotels, we would like to return there but on a lesser budget.
18th December 2010

Oia Santorini
Oia Santorini is real diamond of Greece.
29th December 2010

santorini
Hi, sorry its been a long time - only just gone back on the site and seen your posting. It was the Murano Villa. Its on the main drive up to the town, about 10 mins walk max to the centre. Lovely clean, spacious rooms. small pool outside... we paid 30 euros a night and it was fabulous

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb