Ios and Naxos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Naxos
September 11th 2010
Published: September 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

IOS, was, we found, a very quiet island, despite the reports that it is the party island. Not that we were looking for anything remotely suggestive of parties. But being September, it seemed that the youngsters had mostly mostly gone home, although I did hear a group returning to their room at our hotel at around 5.30 one morning.
Well, Ios. Not much to say really. We spent the first day on this island meandering through the back streets, and the next day ( our 24th wedding anniversary ) we spent on the beach. Not usually being beachy people ( although an odd one here and there is perfectly nice), but there wasnt anywhere else to go. So we enjoyed Mylopotas beach.
The next island we visited was NAXOS. What a contrast! Of course, it is much bigger, but right from arriving, I loved it. We got a fabulous apartment with the crazy name of MAGIC VIEW. And it was! Totally perfect.
We decided to take a bus up to the mountain village of Halki. John was interested in visiting the distillery where they make a liqueur called Kitron. Its made from the leaves of the tree, and only on Naxos.
011011011

Attempting to look like a beach babe ;-(
We walked in the hot sun 2 km up the road ( I hate walking upwards) to the next village of Filoti, where we sat under the Plane trees drinking fresh orange juice while we waited for the bus to come.
Our 3rd day on Naxos was truly awesome. We took the bus up to another mountain village to attempt a walk down through the mountains, along the old donkey pathways, alongside a river to the village at the bottom. Approx 9km. The scenery was stunning as you can see from the pictures. As a non walker.... I am enjoying these kind of walks more and more ( just not upwards).
We decided on a day of rest after that, and so Aghio Anna beach looked very inviting and only a short bus ride away. I treated myself to a Thai massage on the beach..... wonderful!!! On our return to Hora where we were staying, we took a walk up to the Porthole.... a huge, well, porthole which was once a gateway to a temple I think. Most people goup there to watch the sunset, but I think we had just as good a view from our balcony at Magic View, enhanced only marginally of course by the glass of wine in hand.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Kitron distillery in NaxosKitron distillery in Naxos
Kitron distillery in Naxos

At Halki, where they make a lemon flavour liqueur from the leaves.
086086
086

Our walk took us down the valley through the mountains
097097
097

We stopped for lunch at this little bridge over the river
104104
104

It was long, but fabulous.
Yummy......Yummy......
Yummy......

Octopus drying in the sun
Our apartment!!!!!Our apartment!!!!!
Our apartment!!!!!

Fabulous place with really magic views


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb