Weaning Myself Off The Blue and White Church Fixation


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini »  Ia
June 4th 2023
Published: June 4th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Black SandBlack SandBlack Sand

The Perissa beach with its black volcanic sand.
It didn't seem quite so busy first thing in the morning, but there would a lot of very well dressed couples out, with the professional local Greek photographers. There was no messing around with them, they went straight to where they wanted to regardless of the influencers or the photographers that might already be there.

There were particularly a lot of wedding couples, presumably as it's Sunday today. I would guess that they are actually getting married here, but it's also possible that they have just come for the photographs.

Everyone was arguing with a Japanese couple who were monopolising one location and refusing to let anyone else have a turn.

After relaxing by the windmill and reading my book for a while it was turning into a beautiful day, with a deep blue sky and bright, clear sunlight illuminating all the white buildings. I headed out for one last Oia photo outing.

All the wedding couples had been replaced with women all getting their pictures taken in bright, flowing dresses, all blowing dramatically in the wind (with a bit of help from the photographers' assistants).

We enjoyed breakfast on the terrace outside the windmill again,
Classic Church DomeClassic Church DomeClassic Church Dome

Blue dome against a blue sky.
whilst watching some men doing some work on the roof of a building nearby and showing no regard for health and safety. We actually heard a very sad story from our taxi driver whose close friend had been working at up at 6m hights and had been killed in a fall. The health and safety rules in the UK are often criticised for being too cautious in the UK, but it just goes to show that these rules are in place for a reason, although not in Greece it seems (or Italy for that matter - see No, That Isn't Vesuvius Coming Back to Life). And the news today is all about an horrific train crash in India.

I'll miss this stunningly beautiful town, but I won't miss all the crowds, particularly when everyone arrives from the cruise ships, and the competition for the best photography spots.

We are now due to spend a few days in Perissa in the south of Santorini, which will be a completely different experience as we're expecting it to be more of a beach resort.

We were right, it's clearly more of a beach resort. I went for a walk along the sea front for about a mile
Oia ViewOia ViewOia View

One last final view of Oia.
in one direction and half a mile in the other, and it was almost solidly bars and restaurants. They varied from the sedate to the more lively, but none with TVs showing UK football on the day after the FA Cup Final. You might not agree, but that makes it ok with me.

There are none of the blue-domed churches that are so closely associated with the images of Oia and, actually, the whole of Santorini. Well, actually, I did manage to hunt one down at the southern end of the beach - the Church of The Holy Cross, which used to be the largest on the island.

Talking about the beach, it's a black sand beach, due, presumably, to the volcanic history of the island. Apparently, there is also a red sand beach on Santorini, although I don't know the geological history of that.

Having done the earlier research, we headed out in the evening and it was down to me where we went. We wanted to go for some drinks first so we went to what looked a like a Caribbean style bar, given all the vibrant colours and the casual seat which, on closer
WindmillWindmillWindmill

Looking very dramatic against the blue sky.
inspection was made from old wooden pallets. My wife and daughter ordered cocktails. What we thought was a lax attitude when it comes to health and safety, is just a lax attitude full-stop. Alcohol measures, don't worry, just keep pouring. These cocktails were STRONG. As per usual, I was boring and had a beer.

We then headed almost next door for something to eat. Their cocktails were strong as well. They had some live Greek music and dancing, but fortunately for us, the restaurant had indoor seating and also seating on the other side of the road by the beach. We went to the beach side where the music made a pleasant backdrop, but it was not as loud as I would have been inside - I have a thing about music in restaurants that's so loud that it stops you talking to the people you have gone out with.

We were offered complementary drinks after the meal. My wife and daughter had Mastiha again. I had an Ouzo. The lax attitude to measures applied here also. Quadruple is probably about right. Thankfully it's not too far for my wife and daughter to carry me back to the
Building WorkBuilding WorkBuilding Work

After a full health and safety risk assessment.
hotel.

That said, we did actually go for a walk afterwards, although my wife probably just suggested that as a chance for me to sober-up. We came across one particular place was busy and throbbing. The one next to it was completely empty. The one next to that had about four people in it, all of whom looked bored senseless.

There are a lot less people here than in Oia, but, as I said, we will not be missing those crowds.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Oia StreetOia Street
Oia Street

Part of the main route through Oia, looking very quiet at this time in the morning. Wait until the cruise ships' passengers arrive.
Perissa ChurchPerissa Church
Perissa Church

Not as iconic as those in Oia though.
Caribbean BarCaribbean Bar
Caribbean Bar

That all sounds good to me!
Pre-Dinner DrinksPre-Dinner Drinks
Pre-Dinner Drinks

Great looking cocktails (guess which one comes in a pineapple). Mine is the boring beer though!
After Dinner DrinksAfter Dinner Drinks
After Dinner Drinks

Two complementary Mastihas and one Ouzo. These are not the measures we get back home.
Happening ClubHappening Club
Happening Club

The beach opposite the most lively club in Perissa.


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb