If You Can't Beat 'Em, Join 'Em


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini »  Ia
June 3rd 2023
Published: June 3rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Instagram ShotInstagram ShotInstagram Shot

Doing the whole social media influencer thing.
I was up early yet again. After the washout that was yesterday (see Trending Blue Ponchos, You Heard It Here First) I opened the door and was greeted by the most amazing sight. There was the most intense orange moon low over the sea straight in front of me. It didn't last long and was fading by the second. If I'd have been a few minutes later, I would have missed it. In the excitement, I accidentally woke my wife up so she came to find out what all the fuss was about.

I set off to some of the usual, popular locations on the expectation that I wouldn't have to worry about any queues. I was wrong. I guess I'm just too used to having everywhere to myself at this time in the morning or if there are other photographers there, we are all trying to take the same views so work round each other (after comparing the size of our cameras obviously). It was immensely frustrating having to wait whilst some girls are taking endless pictures of themselves. Of course the whole Instagram thing means being in the view rather than taking pictures of the view. I wasn't the only one getting frustrated and others
Orange MoonOrange MoonOrange Moon

It's a rubbish photo, but it does show the colour that welcomed me, briefly.
were pointing out the five minute rule to them. They then just moved further down and annoyed everyone by stilling being in the back of all the photos.

There were a lot of couples out, all well dressed, most with a professional photographer, like the one I had commissioned for a private photoshoot without realising what it was (see So I Can Pass For The Good Looking Social Media Influencer. I Wish!). Lots of pictures of them kissing, gazing into the sunrise, gazing at each other and walking holding hands.

There were even a number wedding couples out to get those classic, romantic poses on in all those famous and iconic locations, including on the roofs of various buildings.

After breakfast, we headed out again as it had turned into a stunning day, such a complete contrast to yesterday. Everywhere was absolutely rammed and the all the popular locations were completely mobbed, beyond any kind of orderly queuing. We walked around for a while (or rather fought our way round) and then went back to the windmill to spend the afternoon photo-bombing everyone who were taking pictures of it. Not really - that would be totally and unnecessarily obnoxious.

I actually broke the habit of a lifetime and
Iconic ShotIconic ShotIconic Shot

I managed to crop the influencers out.
sat by the pool to read a book. It was hot and I really couldn't face heading out to the crowds and all the pushing and shoving again.

Apparently today was the FA Cup Final back in England. You'd never know it here, in fact, I didn't know it. No bars with TV s promoting the fact that they were showing the match, which is what you would expect in any resort frequented by the British. There are a few Brits here, but it definitely seems to be mainly Americans and Japanese. In fact we overheard (not that we were listening in) a conversation by the pool about Donald Trump. It wasn't complementary.

Something else that we have noticed is that one makes any effort to speak Greek and there doesn't seem to be any expectation from the Greeks that anyone should. Usually, there should be please and thank you at the least otherwise it could be considered rude, but not here. English is just assumed.

Now after a day of dodging and waiting for the social media influencers, we decided to put on our blue and white clothes and go and join them. We went to
Early MorningEarly MorningEarly Morning

Another less crowded early morning view.
a couple of the popular locations and waited in the queues, which were nowhere near as bad as they had been earlier in the day (the cruise ships had moved on probably). We got the usual "walking down the steps" poses.

After our wannabe influencer shots were secured we went to a Mezze restaurant back near the windmill for something to eat. Greek salad, Greek style donuts (not a dessert) and meatballs. The restaurant had a deck to view the sunset, but that was sadly full. We still got a good view of the sun setting behind our windmill though. The meal was followed by some complementary Greek Liquors called Mastiha. Nice. I can see a limoncello like purchase coming on (see But 2.8kg of Limoncello Isn't Going Last Me Very Long).

After the meal we set on chairs beside the windmill to enjoy the still colourful sky in the aftermath of the sunset, along with some drinks. All this influencing is a tough life.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

SunriseSunrise
Sunrise

Another sunrise over Oia - there was no queuing at the fort.
Wedding PictureWedding Picture
Wedding Picture

I'm not sure about stranding on that roof though.
More Respect SignsMore Respect Signs
More Respect Signs

The people who live here obviously get very frustrated.
Donkey TrainDonkey Train
Donkey Train

Taking goods down all the narrow streets.
ChurchChurch
Church

The blue, white and orange church to the east of Oia.
Windmill SunsetWindmill Sunset
Windmill Sunset

Popping out quickly during our meal.
MezzeMezze
Mezze

Greek Donuts and Meal Balls.
MastikaMastika
Mastika

Complementary liquors after our meal.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb