Rhodes.


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Rhodes
October 24th 2014
Published: October 24th 2014
Edit Blog Post

RHODES: FRIDAY 24.10.14. Sunny Morning, Showery Afternoon.

Not much to comment on today. Went for an early morning walk to the port, where I spied my first Greek windmill, although I don't comprehend how they rotate without sails. All pictures I have viewed are similar to the one seen!

Later we walked back to the old town, finding the Jewish Synagogue. Apparently Jews on Rhodes came from Spain in the 1500s and established a flourishing community, although they did suffer many difficulties from marauding attackers, be they Turks, Crusaders, Italians and Germans. The Nazis decimated the population forcing them to concentration camps from which only 150 survived. There are now less than 30 Jewish people living on Rhodes. I have not previously visited a synagogue, and was surprised how simply it was decorated, certainly very mild compared to Christian and Orthodox churches and Islamic mosques. The accompanying museum was interesting in mapping the history of its people on Rhodes.

The nearby restaurants and shops are rapidly closing their doors for the season and it is likely that this area of the town where we are staying will be empty of tourists and many residents by the weekend. This is a new concept for me. I wonder to where all the locals retreat!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb