Looking around Lindos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Rhodes
July 31st 2012
Published: August 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We had never been to an acropolis until last week and today we visited our second. We spent the morning swimming, eating and playing cards, but took a trip into Lindos in the afternoon. Jonathan was going to come with us, but his feet were too burned and sore from yesterday. There was a strange noise in the morning that Harriet and Fiona thought was another call to prayer. We were quite confused as we hadn't seen any mosques and were assuming that Lardos was orthodox Christian, although it is closer to Turkey than to mainland Greece. It turned out to be John singing whilst listening to his iPod. We were happy to leave him to sing to himslef whilst we visited Lindos.

We spent some time wandering around the little lanes in Lindos, winding our way further and further up towards the acropolis which is above the town. The lanes are very picturesque but nearly every shop is some sort of tourist place which really detracts from the beauty and makes it a little tacky. We managed to spend plenty of our euros in the tacky tourist shops anyway! Harriet was very disappointed that we walked up to the acropolis as lots of people were being carried by donkeys. The donkeys are so used to the path that they don't need to be led or guided. The path they take is not through the town and we were happy to have been in the shade, which they weren't.

The acropolis has buildings from three different eras, all in various states of repair / ruin. There were magnificent views from up there though, in all directions. South of Lindos is another bay that you can't see from the town which is shaped like a heart. Apparently lots of people like to get married there. Harriet and Toby took great delight in standing as close to the edge as possible and scaring Fiona that they were going to fall.

Kirsty and John brought the boys in to meet us for dinner. We had finished our sightseeing and shopping before we were due to meet them so we stopped in a cocktail bar for a drink when they walked past. They had come in a little early to do some shopping themselves, so we all went to the restaurant together.The restaurateur is a Chelsea fan, so the boys have often sent him photographs of them at Chelsea or as mascots etc. He runs a very nice restaurant, which is possibly one of the best in Lindos. The speciality is fish which he likes to fillet at the table for you. None of us wanted the fish so we didn't get to see him in action. He thought it was terrible that James and Jonathan couldn't sit next to each other. Harriet has sat between them at each place we have eaten, as apparently they would fight if she didn't. There weren't any fights, so everyone deserved a gelato on the way home. James got his from his favourite store but Toby and Harriet had spotted another one that they wanted to try. They were glad that they did as the flavours were fabulous, especially the tiramisu. John was excited that they had coconut, so he'll be back.

The walk up the hill to the car park wasn't any easier the second time round and it was lovely to get back to the aircon and a quick nightcap before bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb