Rhodes - The Gold Coast of Greece!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Rhodes
May 21st 2010
Published: May 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Rodos
Leaving the lovely Santorini behind, we made our way to Rhodes via overnight ferry. The ferry ride itself was easy... a cabin with quite comfy beds, we checked in at about 12.30am and woke up in Rhodes around 8.30am.

Rhodes was always a means of getting where we needed due to the ferry connection to Turkey so there were no great expectations and we had managed to book an extraordinarily cheap hotel at approx $A54! My take on Rhodes at first glance was that it is the 'Gold Coast' of Greece. Tons of hotels, bars, restaurants and shops... Upon second and third glance this impression remained. Nevertheless the wonderful and typical Greek hospitality remained.

We spent our time checking out the town and catching up on some needed washing! Old town Rhodes is actually quite lovely though there is still a mecca of shopping....


My take, similarly to Julie was a cross between Bali and the Gold Coast - market stalls selling the same ol' stuff and spruikers trying to get your patronage in restaurants/cafes/bars (they are all the same from what I could ascertain - the amount of food they sold determined their "title") but
"Colossus" beer in a boot"Colossus" beer in a boot"Colossus" beer in a boot

1.5L had me looking for the toilet pretty soon!
the drink list remained the same - beer or ouzo in the a.m. was not unheard of (not us!).

The Greeks are finding it a bit tough at the moment and as it is the start of the 'season' and competition is fierce, generally meaning good deals and cheap food/drink attracting a 'certain' type of crowd. The 'sheep' mentality prevailed and any premises with someone in it, attracted others. We found this amusing as we would find a respectable and reasonable place and sit ourselves down. As there were typically little or no patrons, the staff would fuss over you and produce free dishes whilst you enjoyed a drink - look around and the place starts filling up - the Greek hospitality in general was excellent.

Crocs with socks / large Europeans and a general uncaring mood as to your appearance seemed appropriate in this 'Gold Coast' of Greece (many a colour blind tourist it would seem and who wears heels on cobble stone streets? Julie pointed this out early in Athens at the Acropolis and since we call them the "Parthenon Hiking Shoes"). A lot of English and crazy Norwegians...and a few mad ones we had encountered along the way, much to our temporary amusement.

Rodos - a means to an end...For the price we enjoyed it but have not, and would not entertain the idea of another visit (unless I emigrate to England or Norway and become crazy!) anything is possible!

Bring on Turkey...





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Julie's new friendJulie's new friend
Julie's new friend

Note: Sign in the crotch area - no touching!
The "Flying (often crawling) Poseidon" The "Flying (often crawling) Poseidon"
The "Flying (often crawling) Poseidon"

The seas were a little rough for this 'water skiing' boat - had to slow down....


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb