Rhodes


Advertisement
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Rhodes
July 16th 2007
Published: July 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

(Long blog; lots of pics; enjoy what you will) Arrived about 10 AM. Found a good place to sleep on the ferry, that was nice. Deviating from my original plan, cut a day out of Kos, so I'm early to Rhodes & got a hostel in Old Town. Very hot! But otherwise, Rhodes is cool. Old Town is a fortified (walled-in) city. It's pretty big, elaborate labrynth of cobblestone streets, some wider, sometimes o... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 86, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




20th July 2007

Jewish Quarter
Great pictures etc. thanks for giving a donation in our honor, I'll have to make sure I get to see the synagogue and your in shul wow!!!!!! keep enjoying.
20th July 2007

Wandered through a Wonder
I've already climbed Chichen Itza! Other wonders-First of all, the Great Wall is not contiguous, but the pieces are a few thousand miles long, started by Shi hu wang di (sp?) A strange dude who ultimately died drinking something in the hopes of finding the fountain of youth. The Taj Mahal built by Shah Jahan, a Mughal emporer for his wife Mumtaz Mahal (who died giving birth to something like her 14th child). He said the building she be as beautiful as she is beautiful-ah, what a romantic. The Colosseum; I'd love to go; I assume you went? Below the floor labrynth is pretty cool? Would also love to see Petra. It is Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio; I'd rather go for Carnival. Tough choices; although Macchu Pichu looks pretty cool. Thanks for the update Alex, it's another Jolly Rancher for you!
20th July 2007

Culture
Stephen, your comment on how some people seem to live their entire life in one area and unlike us in the US, seem less interested in the hustle and bustle of diversification is not so unusual, especially in isolated areas. You would think that in this "global" world, all share the same views, or at least similar views. I know when i first came to Tucson, there were several Mexicans that i worked with who lived thier entire life in the 1 sqaure mile of "little Mexico" i.e., the Barrio, in down town Tucson. I remember talking to 1 girl and asking her if she ever saw snow or a pine tree, considering Mt. Lemmon was only 45 minutes away, but she never had, and she must have been about 40. Her entire life was to go to work and then back to that 1 square mile, where her entire family and extended family had lived for more then 50 years and she had no desire to see anything else except that little area of Tucson. So i think in some ways, what you are seeing is more common then others might be aware.

Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 16; dbt: 0.0155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb