Ios – Even more beach time / party time!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Ios
July 25th 2011
Published: November 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We didn’t want to waste the day sleeping again so we set the alarm for 10am and actually got up at 11am. Not too bad! We headed to the beach in front of the Far Out Club. Steve was hoping it would be busier there and it was a little bit but not crazy like he hoped. Also the Meltemi boat rental place put all their kayaks in front of us completely blocking our access to the water. The water was much rougher down this end of the beach and the waves had everything churned up. The water’s edge was sandy up to about knee depth then it was really rocky and that made it hard to get in and out of the water.
We stayed at the beach until about 4:30 then went back to the hotel and did a quick wash up and headed into the Chora around 5:00 to do some sightseeing and shopping. We walked all over the Chora even up to the old windmills and down some little alleys. Rachel did some video of the Chora and some of the hotel when we got back. We also stopped and had a cold drink at the Margarita
Ios Chora Ios Chora Ios Chora

Great place to get something to eat late at night
Bar and rested for a while in the Plateia, which was nice and shady and quiet. It’s so different there during the day than it is at night with all the crazy partying going on. I also took a bunch of photos while we walked around.

Back at the hotel once again we had our pre going out nap. I’m pretty sure this was the night we stopped at the hotel bar for a drink before we headed into town for the evening. We called Kostas again to bring us into town around midnight. We had dinner at La Buca; the Italian restaurant across the road from the Cathedral of Ios. It was good and a nice change up from all the traditional Greek food we had been eating.

When we were walking up to the Plateia area where most of the bars are, we started talking to this guy who was locking up his shop. His name was Jay and he said he was originally from California. He kind of reminded me of a cross between the Dude from the movie The Big Leibowski and Captain Ron! He probably had done too many drugs in his lifetime
KalypsoKalypsoKalypso

Ios Chora
as he introduced himself and asked our names several times in the space of an hour. He gave Steve a card that said he was a teacher. Um I don’t know about that! He wanted to go get a beer with us so he took us to Pegasus which is a rock bar. The place was absolutely desolate! It was an okay place but rock is not Rachel’s favorite music so we finished our drinks and said our goodbyes to Jay who tried hard to talk his way into tagging along with us.

Next we went to the No Name Bar which is a traditional Greek music bar to ensure that we would lose Jay. It was pretty much empty and we stayed for a drink and the owner (or manager not sure which) bought us shots, probably because we were the only ones dancing in there. I was a bit strange as it felt like a place where only locals went. After this we went to Shooters but the drinks there sucked a lot!!! From here we decided to go back to the Mojito Bar as Rachel remembered having a delicious vodka fizz drink there the night before. They were definitely delicious and we both got one. We started talking to the owner and he sent us shots of some Greek liquor!. He was a really nice guy and he loved Jimmy Buffet. Too funny!!

We decided to head home since we had to get up fairly early so we could pack and check out by noon. We walked up the road to the Scorpion Bar just like every other night since Kostas told us the taxis picked people up there late at night. We even called Kostas and he told Steve to wait at the pharmacy?? Um okay so now we were confused since none of us could remember seeing a pharmacy on that road. So next we tried to flag down a cab since the mobile reception there was spotty. No luck!! We waited a bit and no more taxi’s came so we decided to just walk to the hotel. We met up with an Aussie guy who said he knew a short cut. And then we were joined by an Aussie girl so we had quite the entourage going toward Mylopotas Beach. The short cut turned out to be a goat path and smelled like it too!! It was also really dark and hard to see where you were stepping on the rough path. Rachel thought we could cut off and end up at our hotel room since we had noticed that it was by an access road way up on the hill and that’s actually how they delivered our luggage up to us. But Steve vetoed that idea. It turns out Rachel was absolutely correct, but I guess whatever we made it eventually. We got back around 6am just in time to see the sun coming up over the hills.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Steve, Me & RachelSteve, Me & Rachel
Steve, Me & Rachel

At the Ios Palace pool bar ready to head out for the night


Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb