the Kalavrita monument


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Pelopennese
January 7th 2007
Published: January 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

the Kalavrita crossthe Kalavrita crossthe Kalavrita cross

at the monument from the massacre at Kalavrita, Greece
Hello everyone:

We're actually back home in the U.S. now (it's January 14th), but we didn't have access to the travelblog for days. So, we're creating a few more days of blogposts and adding pictures to our previous posts. Check 'em out!

January 7th was our final day in Kalavrita. We overslept and missed the bus trip to the ski lodge, so we had breakfast in town and then walked to areas we had not yet visited.

We should give you a little history about Kalavrita, as it will help to explain the places we visited today. Kalavrita is officially 2001 years old, but there were settlers in this area hundreds of years B.C. It is a beautiful and somewhat isolated mountain town, with a history of revolts during oppressive times. Kalavrita is now known as the town where Greece's independence was won - the people of Kalavrita rose up in 1821 to fight the Turks, successfully ending over 400 years of occupation.

On December 13, 1943, a horrible crime was committed here. Nazis from Germany came to Kalavrita, rounded up all of the men (ages 14 and older - about 1200 people) that were in the town, brought them to a hill, and shot them. Thirteen of these men lived, the rest died on the hill. Then, the Nazis rounded up all of the women and children in the town, locking them in a schoolhouse. Orders were given to light the school on fire with all of the people inside. However, one German soldier let the women and children sneak out of the building before setting it ablaze. The German Nazis also burned the Metropolitan Church of the Assumption of the Virgin.

First, we visited the rebuilt church in the town square. The church has two clock towers - the one on the right displays the correct time, where the one on the left is frozen at the time of the massacre on December 13, 1943.

Next, we enjoyed some cappuccino and lunch, then hiked up the hill where the men were executed in the massacre. A large cross and Greek flag are at the top of the hill, and many small crosses and plaques mark the spots where the bodies of young men were found. Two large stone plaques list the names and ages of those killed on that day. It was a
Kalavrita MonumentKalavrita MonumentKalavrita Monument

to those killed in the Kalavrita massacre on December 13, 1943.
beautiful tribute to those who died. It's quite a remarkable site to see the thriving town of Kalavrita from this hill.

Tomorrow, we'll head to Athens for the final event of the conference, and then a few days of touring on our own.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Kalavrita viewKalavrita view
Kalavrita view

from the Kalavrita monument
hiking over Kalavritahiking over Kalavrita
hiking over Kalavrita

View of the town of Kalavrita and Mt. Chelmos in the distance, as seen from the monument


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb