Trip To The Mountains


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete
August 11th 2008
Published: September 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Family Gyani had been wanting to hire motorbikes at some point, so we thought it would be good to go convoy-style into the mountains - family Keyte in the Keyte-mobile, family Keyte-from-the-north in their Keyte-rentomobile and family Gyani on two mo(ped)torbike-thingies.

After an extended and faffy breakfast, off we set, destination Sarakina and Elos (of Chestnut Forest fame). We stopped at the old church in Sarakina and managed to find a rather comically large key to the door on the shelf above the door (there was no doormat under which to hide it). Lovely little place, but some of us have seen this one a few times. We had the kids ring the old bell a few times, before we got worried that hoards of local villagers might start rolling up for a service. After some photos by the stream with the dragonflies, we pressed on towards Elos.

Elos was its usual, lovely self, though a few new restaurant/tavernas seem to have appeared. We chose one with unusually modern comfortable seats and a little garden-like thing. Food was great, and Alex’s “Rooster in wine” looked particularly interesting.

It was during lunch that Prem suddenly remembered that he’d had a late and hard evening the night before and started to go green. We decided to spare him and head towards Paleochora so that he could get a little shut-eye before repeating the whole thing again that same night! We blame it all on Bratislava!

To give Alex and Oli good value with the bikes, after dropping Prem off at the hotel, we headed to Kreos (a few km west of Paleochora) for a swim, an ice-cream or beer, or whatever… Amazingly clear and lovely water at Kreos. Karl had previously done some scuba-diving off this beach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb