Kalives, Crete - Day 2


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete » Chania
May 20th 2008
Published: May 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The VespaThe VespaThe Vespa

J.C. on the Vespa scooter we rented for the day.
We woke up in plenty of time for the bus at 7:15am, but again, the bus was a no-show. We decided instead to rent a vespa scooter for the day and try to find the U.S. Navy base near Souda, with the hope of sending some excess weight home. We did find the base, hidden away on the other side of the Chania airport, but unfortunately, they wouldn't let us on since we weren't on the access list. We continued on to Hania and strolled around the old Venetian harbor and gift shops, having capuccinos at the Teraza Cafe. The harbor is really picturesque. We ate lunch at a quaint taverna on the harbor called Kavouras. We decided to try their spacial, with a Greek salad, mousaka, and a dessert for two at 15 Euros. They not only brought the customary bread, but small glasses of ouzo, and, with dessert came a small bottle of raki, both included in the 15 Euro price! The ouzo was a bit strong, but tasty, and we'd had it before. The raki was like moonshine, burned all the way down and no flavor I can taste! The food was quite good and in generous portions.
Old Venetian HarborOld Venetian HarborOld Venetian Harbor

The old Venetian harbor in Hania.
After strolling the harbor a while longer, we made the trip back to Kalives on our vespa. In Kalives, we tried to book the Samaria Gorge trip for Monday morning thru a local travel agency (@ 28 Euros each, plus boat and park entrance fees), but they were all booked up. We decided we'd try again on Monday on our own. After returning the vespa, we decided to go light for dinner and bought a couple of ham and cheese "pies". Not bad, and less than 2 Euros each.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Taratsa CafeTaratsa Cafe
Taratsa Cafe

The cafe where we had capuccinos. The only 2nd story cafe we saw.
Hania Harbor LighthouseHania Harbor Lighthouse
Hania Harbor Lighthouse

The long walk out to the lighthouse in Hania harbor.
Diner at the Taverna KavourasDiner at the Taverna Kavouras
Diner at the Taverna Kavouras

Taverna Kavouras on Hania harbor. Great food and great prices, with free ouzo and raki.
MousakaMousaka
Mousaka

The cute little pot of delicious mousaka we had at Taverna Kavouras in Hania.


Tot: 0.415s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1841s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb