Sunday, August 30, Veria, Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Macedonia » Veria
September 7th 2009
Published: September 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

IntertribalIntertribalIntertribal

Everybody dance!


Last day of the three-day event. New schedule. Jackie to pick up Mariah, David, Johnny and Wil at the house at noon. Didn’t seem a need to be there so early. And everyone was beat. Long days plus heat and humidity = drained and potentially cranky people. Lee and I slept late too back at the site.

More people today. More audience participation in the intertribal and round dances.

The busload from Athens waited for everyone to dress for pictures. First just us, and then everyone from Athens got into the picture. Very cute.

It was the best day of the three. Mariah and I sang backup for Johnny, some of us joined in with vocables on a couple of songs. Our snake dances got longer and longer as people threw off shyness and joined in. A nice Greek gentleman took loads of portrait pictures.

We have met so many nice people here in Veria. Getting quite familiar with the people running the food stand. More nice people we don’t even know bring us cheese pie. We get roasted corn from a cute Greek couple who set up a makeshift stand.

Black clouds start
Passing ByPassing ByPassing By

Lee and Johnny moving on during an intertribal.
rolling in. But we keep keeping on. It’s cooler and a breeze has kicked up and we are starting to have a lot of fun. So is the audience. Then boom. Here it comes. Thunder and lightning. Rain. A little a first and there is confidence that it will just rain for a bit. People huddle under our vending tent or in our “dressing room.” It keeps on raining. And raining. Finally we have to give up and call it a day.

It rained for a couple more hours, and during the night the winds came, fierce winds. At one point I woke up thinking our tent was going to be blown away. But the tent stayed put and we slept till we heard Tdom Bah and Jackie moving around packing up. Just get it over with, that’s our motto. We got it done, got back to the house and took a chill pill. We were due showers and rest!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Another IntertribalAnother Intertribal
Another Intertribal

More of the audience starts to participate.
It's Hot!It's Hot!
It's Hot!

But we're still dancing.
Dear SophiaDear Sophia
Dear Sophia

Such a special woman. We will miss her!
The GuysThe Guys
The Guys

Demetri and David must be looking at something very interesting! Wonder what?
WiltingWilting
Wilting

Listening to Johnny sing. We're glad we don't have to move!
Sophia and TerrySophia and Terry
Sophia and Terry

We had a great time, despite the heat!
Jackie, Agnes and TerryJackie, Agnes and Terry
Jackie, Agnes and Terry

International trio! German, Polish, Shawnee. What a group!
Vassi and TerryVassi and Terry
Vassi and Terry

Our sweet friend from Athens who help us sell at our booth.
End of DayEnd of Day
End of Day

Drumming with Demetri.


10th September 2009

Hi
Hi Mamma. How are you? I have really enjoyed reading your blogs. Thank you for sharing your adventures. It sounds like you have been to some amazing places:) I think you said you would be back in London on the 16th. I am in NYC right now flying a few trips and running some banking errands. Will be home on the 13th or 14th. Looking forward to seeing you. And we can run our AC as much as you want:):):):) Love you.

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb