Platamonas and Dion


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Macedonia » Dion
June 17th 2008
Published: June 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Olympos at sunsetOlympos at sunsetOlympos at sunset

from Platamonas
Yesterday we left Delphi, heading north. The mountain roads were pretty spectacular before we dropped down to the Agean coast. We stopped north of Larissa, a small seaside place called Platamonas, It is overlooked by Mount Olympos, seems to cater to Greek tourists and day trippers from Larissa and Thessalonika. Finding a hotel was no problem. The trip itself was good, if hot. Jackets and helmets were not an attractive proposition. The first part, the pass, was spectacular though Ashley had to concentrate on the hairpin bends and other drivers. It was ten good roads (including some stretches of two lane highway with central reservation. This was fast but, in places, bumpy.

Platamonas is a serious resort. It has bars and fish restaurants and snack bars. It has a very clean beach and... sandflies. There is an antisandfly device in our room which seems to work well enough, but when we go out we get bitten.

Today we did a day trip to Dion, it seemed a good plan. Alexander did a trip to Dion before heading for Persia. The whole site is overlooked by Mount Olympos.

It's quite a large site and very ruined (razed by enemy
Roman theatreRoman theatreRoman theatre

at Dion Olympos in background
action then a series of severe earthquakes and floods). It's amazing that so much remains (including a very intact mosaic). Most is in the museum which is shut till September. What we did see was, however, impressive. We also saw a lot of wildlife. A crane, lots of trout (the water was mostly clear), several huge frogs (and tadpoles), lizards, and, as a highlight at least two European vipers. I spotted them swimming in a pool in the Isis temple, near the sacred spring and we later saw them on the surrounding stones and crawling into the cracks between the stones.

Back in Platamonas we ate souvlaki pita for lunch. Then Ashley decided to go for a swim. The water does look fantastically clear. I think he enjoyed it.

Tomorrow we move on Northwards. Ashley is studying his map. We may not make Pella but we should get to Virgena which is where you can see the tombs of various Macedonian Kings. Also where Philip got assassinated. Probably as a day trip as these seem to work quite well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb