Day 7 9th June 2013 - Porto Germeno


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Greece
June 11th 2013
Published: June 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast was included in the price at the Hotel Iradanos and we took it at the pavement cafe in front of the hotel on a beautifully sunny and relaxed Greek Sunday morning overlooking the waterfront. It was a coffee shop and being from a generation where a cup of coffee is a cup of coffee there was a confusing few minutes where the waitress explained all the different types of coffee they have and we kept saying, "yes but we just want a cup of coffee please." In the end I think we ended up with very milky coffee but it was very good.

We decided that our last day on the mainland should be a lazy one and we headed for a point on the map about half way back to Athens where a beach was shown. No hotels were shown in the area on the internet and so we, for the first time, trusted to luck and hoped there would be somewhere to stay once we got there. (WE TRAVEL ON FAST ROADS WITH POT HOLES A BIT LIKE OUR OWN REALLY. WE PASS FARM WORKERS WEEDING THE FIELDS AND PICKING WATER MELONS AND ARE ALARMED TO DRIVE UP BEHIND A LORRY STACKED HIGH WITH ONIONS AND ON TOP OF THE ONIONS WERE SAT HALF A DOZEN PEOPLE. THEY HAD TO HOLD ON TIGHT AS THE LORRY TURNED OFF RIGHT.

So it was that we rolled up in Porto Germeno, a small seaside resort with an attractive pebbly beach and a superb view over the bay of Corinth and the mountains. Parking was not large on the town planners list but we found a spot in a side street and then had a walk around to find somewhere to stay.

A taverna waiter tried to tempt us in to eat but we told him we were looking for rooms. This was a mistake and I think he was probably on commission. He called (WHISTLED) down the street and another lad came running and said he would show us a room. We went to the house of an elderly couple who clearly were not expecting visitors. First they showed us a downstairs room with clothes strewn everywhere. Sensing our unimpressedness they showed us upstairs. Here they knocked on a door which was answered by a lady. She was clearly not best pleased at being disturbed and so our guide started to show us down the stairs again. We had a quick chat with the woman who answered the door and it turned out that she was the current occupant and wasn't planning on leaving just yet. What was more, when pressed, she said the room was nothing more that OK.

We were now looking for an escape route and despite being told repeatedly about the view of the castle, which I could not see, and that they would give us coffee until the other guests left, we beat a hasty retreat. To be fair we chickened out and lied and said we would be back in an hour so we spent the rest of our time in the town with one eye over our shoulder.

So it was that we walked up the short pedestrianised sea front to some nice looking apartments that tumbled down the hillside to the promenade, the Porto Studio Rooms. We walked up the steps and spoke to the owner, Stavros. He showed us into an apartment and the deal was done as soon as he opened the balcony door. What a view of the sea, the beach and the mountains. (WE DID OUR FIRST BIT OR BARTERING OR TO PUT IT MORE PRECISELY I. TIM JUST SHUFFLED ABOUT IN THE BACKGROUND HE DOESN'T DO BARTERING)

Whilst we were moving in we spoke with Stavros and his other half, whose name we unfortunately didn't find out. They were keen to know how the economic situation was affecting the UK. They explained that they had two children and were holding down two jobs. They considered themselves lucky in that respect but times were hard. In fact we were asked to lock up and leave the key in the morning as they would both be working. (I NOW FEEL A BIT BAD ABOUT KNOCKING THE PRICE DOWN)

We really felt for them and so, if you are ever looking for a really nice seaside spot when touring the Gulf of Corinth, handy for Delphi and Athens please think of Stavros and his peach coloured Porto Studios at the end of the Pedestrian area in Porto Germeno, second block from the sea. I believe they are on the internet. They are basic but functional rooms with flowers on the balcony, air conditioning and all you need for a few days. And then
SwimmingSwimmingSwimming

Trying to look good with water up your nose isn't easy
there is that view.

We spent the afternoon on the beach and tried out our waterproof camera (BOUGHT FROM LIDL) which, to our great surprise, is actually waterproof. It is going to be difficult thought getting an example picture past the censors (Carol.) The water in the Gulf of Corinth is definitely warmer than that of the Ionian. (ITS A SHAME YOU PULL SUCH SILLY FACES WHEN YOU HAVE WATER IN YOUR EYES AND UP YOUR NOSE. HOW COME ALL NATIONALITIES OTHER THAN THE BRITISH CAN RUN ON AND PLAY GAMES ON PEBBLY BEACHES WITH NO SHOES ON WHERE AS THE BRITS AND DEFINITELY TIM AND I ARE PATHETIC WHIMPS.

On Stavros' recommendation we spent the evening at Mrs Merry's (that's what is sounded like) yellow fronted taverna in the pedestrian area with just a few tables on the pavement. First we went through what is becoming an evening ritual. We are given a menu, we chose what we want, we are told that this is not available and we are told what there is. The food here though was top notch. Cats and a kitten kept us entertained, particularly when the tiny kitten went to sleep in a Greek woman's handbag.

The people who had earlier been on the beach had all gone and were clearly day trippers. Once more we believe we were the only tourists left in the resort and certainly eating out. Mrs Merry had us and some locals in. The other taverna owners were playing football with the local kids. I bet they can't wait (and hope) for high season.

We now feel really relaxed and it is with mixed feelings that we head back into Athens tomorrow to catch our ferry to SERIFOS.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

SunsetSunset
Sunset

The master of all he surveys


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb