Greek Family Day


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Glyfada
July 2nd 2011
Published: July 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

In the midst of the economic crisis the Greek govt must have snuck through legislation that every day is 30 degrees with a cloudless sky and a light breeze – we can’t believe we leave tomorrow.
This morning we had a lovely long visit with Costas – Kim’s Father’s Cousin’s Grandson. Lots of chats about family and some about the economic and political situation – he has close connections to the governing Papandreou family.
Kim also spoke with Manon – Kim’s father’s first cousin; Myrto – Kim’s second cousin; Melita – Kim’s father’s first cousin’s daughter; and left a message with Egyptian high school friends of Kim’s dad – Rita and Taki.
Swimming and sunning through the afternoon then to Despina and George’s for dinner.
Dinner was unbelievable – Despina treated us to a wonderful Greek feast at her home. The kiuds loved their Papous’ (grandfathers)_ - favourite meatballs from Smyrna.
Their home was also amazing – since Despina is an artist of international reknown their house has wonderful pieces of art from many of her favourite artists. Fig, apricot, pear, lime, pomegranate and lemon trees in the yard.
The best was the conversation between the 10 of us – three generations and all family – talk wove seamlessly from family to food to centaurs to the IMF to scorpions to art to family to food to travels to others people and places in Greece we must see to politics to lizards above us on the wall to how much we all love being together to planning our next reunion. Home full, sleepy, happy and feeling like we have met a whole important part of our family.
The raison d’etre of this blog has been to leave a real record of our trip in words and pictures for Marika and Will and their families years to come. We hope you have enjoyed sharing some of our experiences and can indulge the mostly lone perspective that was brought to bear on our trip.
Thank you for taking time to follow our adventures.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



3rd July 2011

Kali nikta
I know that the end of the trip and the blog will be sad for you-- but for me too. It has been an amazing vicarious experience....so thank you all so much. Author! Author!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb