Corfu Nafpaktos Athen


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Glyfada
July 1st 2011
Published: July 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

It was hard leaving our home away from home in Agios Gordios – the dreamy settings and moreso the way the taverna’s family made us feel like part of their family.

We boarded the Olympia Palace, a Minoan Cruise line ferry which shuttles between Itay and Greece. We swam and watched the mountainous coast of Greece drift by.

Our digs that night were a short drive from the dreary stuffy port town of Patras – we crossed the channel on the world’s longest antiseismic (earthquake ‘proof’) suspension bridge which was waaay futuristic in sharp contrast to the surrounding terrain and towns. We reached Nafpaktos which is a trendy spot for well-heeled yo9unger Athenians it seems – lovely vibrant spot we would put on our list of go back to places in Greece to explore with more time.

We were in a very cool newly built boutique hotel – only 7 rooms with an all glass lift and outstanding fixtures and surprises.

Memorable moment during the night. On board the ship Marika had slipped on a spot of grease while running and playing with Will on the ship’s helicopter landing pad. Hurt her bum. At about midnight Marika was sick once – likely from a rich salty late dinner. In the middle of the night Kim had a half-asleep, half-awake vision of Marika hitting her head when she fell – so Kim scurried into where Marika slept, woke Marika up as best as she could and started firing ‘do you have a concussion’ sort of questions at a sleepy 8 year old. “Who am I”, “Where are we now”. The former question Marika couldn’t respond to because for her it was just too weird. The latter question was nigh impossible for ANY of us to keep track of where we happen to be in S Europe on any given middle of the night. Marika must have mumbled enough to assuage Kim’s fears and we all went back to sleep.

Our dirve back to Glyfada near Athens was about 3 hours and we settled into oiur hotel and went for a swim.

July 1st – hmmm – isn’t that a big day in your country? Have a joyous national happiness Day of Canada Celebration from us greeks.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Will is the targetWill is the target
Will is the target

Will snoozes on the Minoan Lines Cruise ship's helicopter landing pad.
Cover of the Rolling StoneCover of the Rolling Stone
Cover of the Rolling Stone

Breakfast chat with Susan and David Fricke - senior editor of the Rolling Stone.
Behind the barBehind the bar
Behind the bar

Kim Marika and Will join taverna owner Sebastian behind the counter.


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0768s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb