In the footsteps of Homer


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
September 15th 2013
Published: September 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Off to visit Homer.



No, not Simpson, but the historic Homer, author of the Odyssey. Our flight was smooth and uneventful if long, 81/2 hrs. We had been assigned two seats in the middle of the middle row but at the last minute I was able to snag a window seat for Joe and then the gods smiled and the aisle seat next to him stayed empty so I was able to move over. A couple of hours before we landed we switched seats and, as we were flying over the Ionian Sea I saw the most glorious sunrise, painting the water like a sea of gold.



At the Athens airport we were met by HAL representative who insisted that we had to go to the port to meet our tour, even though the documents I showed her said we met at the airport. I was too tired to argue and figured she knew her stuff so off we went along the coast road to Piraeus.



Personal observation. Spray paint should be banned! Along the road, every surface was defaced. We're not talking street "Art" but ugly words and images all over everything. Even when we reached the modern and revitalized area where the Olympics were held, graffiti covered many of the surfaces.



When we arrived at the port we found out that we were right about the tour so we are probably the only couple to visit Athens and not see the Acropolis and the Parthanon. Truth to tell, it was 85 degrees and humid and I was exhausted and Joe was still feeling the effects of this "sleeping pill" so I was just as pleased to walk right on board.

We wandered about the ship, to tired to be hungry, took care of getting a credit for the missed tour, had a hole put in my sea card so I can wear it on a lanyard around my neck. This was exhausting so we returned to the cabin for a nap, out bags were there and instead of unpacking, we dozed.



Okay, so really zonked. Set a wake up call and shortly it was time for the Emergency Drill. All went smoothly, A couple who had been escorted from the pool received an ovation when they finally arrived. I would have been mortified but they seemed to take it in stride.



Changed for dinner, had stingers in the Ocean Bar, headed for the dining room and had a table for two tucked away in a corner. Very nice. Joe had a shrimp appetizer (graded C), Pear and melon gazpacho (A+) and chicken breast (A-). I had the salmon and tuna tartare (A) the soup (A+) and a spinach and mushroom salad (A). I ordered a wine package and chose Three Blind Moose as the first selection. By now it was 6:15 so we retired to our stateroom, finished unpacking and settled down for a long summers sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.388s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1858s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb