Sightseeting in Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
May 20th 2011
Published: May 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

001001001

Kotziki Square, Pigeon Man
This morning we boarded the Hop on Hop off bus to see the sights of Athens. We had a great day. We were surprised by the mixture of people, traffic and motor scooters all jostling for their place on the road and the footpath!!
We got off the bus close to the Acropolis stop and took a lovely long walk through the ancient city of Pyros and up to the Acropolis.
It was all very interesting.
We had lunch at a lovely little greek cafe, below the acropolis.
We then re-boarded the bus and went to see the Ruins of Zeus, the ........? (will add later)arch, the old baths- ruins that were discovered when they were digging out the ground to put in a metro rail system.
We visited old churches and many more old ruins.
Right opposite our hotel was the street vege market. There were many many stalls with vendors calling out in Greek wanting you to buy their fruit and veg. We could not resist buying a big punnet of beautiful strawberries. YUM!
We walked along the road and came across a meat market and a fish market. The fish market smelt a little too strong for us so we did not venture in, however, Steve had a great time at the meat market. There was rows and rows of carcasses all hanging up. There were men chopping the meat with big meat cleavers. It was a very bustling market. Lots of people and lots of yelling and chopping!! We even saw a row of pig’s heads hanging up in the market.
We then walked down to Montasiriki Square and had dinner at a lovely restaurant. Lamb souvlaki for me and pork for Steve.
We had one last look at the wonderful view from the roof of our Hotel before going to bed.
We had really enjoyed our visit to Athens.
(I will name all the pics when I get time, but they are of the city of Athens, the ancient city of Pyros, the acropolis, the university, library, and the markets.
Lots of pics, plz scroll down.....and down..... and down......LOL!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



23rd May 2011

I'd love to be in Greece again.
I'm not sure they had the hop on hop off buses when we were there. Love your pig head photos. When we went to Athens everyone told us it was just a big ugly city and to get in and out quickly. We loved Athens....... thanks for the memories.

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb