Yasu from Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
April 3rd 2006
Published: April 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Since I looked after myself yesterday I was up early, and went to the gym which made me feel good about myself. Today we leave for Athens, and we will be in Greece for eleven/twelve days.
It didn't take long to pack, as we are only taking 2 backpacks (1 big, 1 small). We had to wash some clothes as well, and after two trips to the laundromat dryer the clothes were nearly dry.
We said goodbye to Kez, having said goodbye to Rod earlier, and we were off. Missing the 12.57 train wasn't a good start, but we had plenty of time an the 13.16 was fine. We changed at West Ham, and then Green Park before arriving at Heathrow right on 15.00. Beck somehow slept on the train with her head in the most awkward position - she could sleep anywhere.
At Heathrow we sent Tommy's present, and then we had to line up in a huge departures queue. Once we got through we only just had time to grab some pasta for dinner before heading to our gate to catch our flight with Lufthansa. Beck wasn't that keen on Lufthansa, while I didn't mind them, although there was some really squeaky noises that were a bit off putting.
We had a quick change over in Frankfurt. Frankfurt was surrounded by forest, or at least the airport was, which was very impressive. The customs in Germany were very professional and thorough, but we managed to get our stamp. My limited Year 7 German enabled me to catch a few words at the airport, but not many.
Flying with Lufthansa they give out free International newspapers, which meant I could catch up on the news in 'The Independent'. Manchester United still has a chance to catch Chelsea in the Championship which is good to see.
The meal from Frankfurt to Athens was ok, and when we landed we were quick to get our bag, and we were in Greece. Didn't have to get a stamp, we just walked through.
We withdrew some Euros from the ATM, and then we had to catch a bus into Athens. Beck had done the homework for us which came in handy. We knew which number bus to catch, and we had a map of where our hotel was located. Getting off the bus a man in the street gave us directions without any prompting, which was very helpful (and nice).
We nearly found the hotel, but as we were deciding which street to take a taxi driver wound down his window and pointed out our hotel which was only 200 metres away.
The man at reception was asleep at the desk, and when he woke he asked for our passport details which didn't seem right, but we gave them anyway. Our room in Hotel Tempi is nice, and we were quick to fall asleep as it was 2.30 in the morning.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb