Friday Sept 19


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
September 19th 2008
Published: September 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A rather uneventful week in comparison to last weekend, but it was certainly appreciated. Our stove finally got fixed on Wednesday, along with our clogged toilet - apparently the roomies have yet to learn that you really cannot flush toilet paper here.

Had a CYA “town meeting” last night to discuss any problems we’ve encountered these first few weeks living in Athens. While I admit the whole laundry situation is rather inconvenient, you would think it was the end of the world for some of the kids here! I guess I’m not the only one trying to adjust to an unfamiliar style/standard of living. Although, I do still really wish we had a microwave…

After class yesterday, went with the roomies to the travel agent to officially book our trip for October Break!! Three nights in Alexandria, four in Cairo and two in Istanbul! While I’m already incredibly excited, I don’t think its hit me yet that in a little over a month I will be walking among the pyramids and gazing at the Hagia Sophia. Again, testament to my huge art-dorkiness, but I’m totally okay with that. I am a little apprehensive about how safe we will be in Egypt, but the travel agent assured us she has done this exact trip for CYA students multiple times before and hasn’t had any incidents as of yet and the hotels we’re staying at are all located in good neighborhoods and rated 4-5 stars. Despite my apprehension though, I’m all for seizing this opportunity considering Egypt and Turkey are two places I really cannot picture myself getting to later in life - and it doesn’t hurt that we save a ton on travel because we’re already so close.

This morning, got to go to the farmer’s market in our neighborhood. Absolutely incredible! An entire street lined with fruit and vegetable stands, fresh from the countryside and far cheaper than the grocery store or other local markets. Needless to say, stalked up for the week and am excited to cook with our now working stove lol.

We’re leaving Tuesday night as an entire school to go to the island of Crete through Friday. Although I don’t know anyone on my bus/who I’m rooming with, it should be an awesome trip. Found out that we are getting sleeper cabins on the ferry to the island, which I will greatly appreciate after our experiences on the ferry last weekend lol. Need to get in touch w/ Rozlyn and see what she recommends I see/do there - she stayed in Crete for 2 weeks in April as her Air Guard “training.” From looking at her pictures, there should be plenty of beautiful countryside to see. We’re also going to the ancient Minoan palace of Knossos one day and hiking a gorge that leads to a beach on the last day (only 5 miles, hoping the knee will handle it).

Have a paper to write for Tuesday and some reading to do, but other than that don’t really have a lot of plans for the weekend. I’m still enjoying simply exploring the city. In this respect, am a little frustrated with the room mates in that they seem to depend on guide books to tell them where to go and what to do. I feel like this limits the experience of authentic Athens greatly. The best places seem to be those that you just stumble upon; you don’t need to trek half-way across the city to some random place because a guide book recommended it when there are countless things to do and see and people to meet right in our own neighborhood - sans flocks of tourists and outrageous prices haha. Anyways…I guess if that’s the largest of my complaints at present I should probably count my blessings and just go with it!


Advertisement



20th September 2008

I agree with you Tep, the best places are the ones you just happen to stumble upon and aren't in a tourist book
20th September 2008

Teplyn!! We're having an Athens Trip Reunion tonight! Even though it will be incomplete without you and your tomatoes. Sounds like you're having an amazing time and I miss you! p.s. We're bad at football this year, so you're not missing anything.
21st September 2008

sad! I wish I could be there!! Side note: have eaten an incredible amount of tomatoes since I've been here, may someday get sick of them...but not yet haha and yeah, can't say im too disappointed in missing football season this year yikes!

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb