athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
August 7th 2005
Published: August 7th 2005
Edit Blog Post

well, i survived!!! i did the lovely 21 hour ferry trip from ancona, italy to patras, greece. it actually went very well surprisingly. much better than i expected. we had a group of 7 of us and we were pretty early so we stood in line, waiting for our turn to get on the boat. we had a very good set up in our little area, which was actually quite big compared to others. we had the cheapy deck tickets, which means you are outside and you don't have a designated seat. you are actually lucky to get a seat at all. we were in the best place possible on the boat, i think so anyway. we were in a covered area, with a few tables and about 10 chairs between us. it was great fun actually. i had a lilo (i found one that was free with a tv magazine) so i had quite a comfy night sleep. when i walked around the boat there were people set up on the top where it was soooo windy, that would've been horrible for that long. anyway, it was an experience that was unexpectedly fun and comfortable. got to patras and had to get a bus for 3 hours to athens. it dropped us off at some random bus station and luckily one of our friends speaks greek and had been there before so we knew what to do. otherwise i would've had no idea. it makes you realise how good and easy busabout is. it's great. we had to get another bus into the city, then a train to near my hostel. i was with one other person at this stage and we had no idea where to go from there. our maps were in english and the signs were in greek. really not helpful at all. we asked a few people and my friend got sorted - we were staying in different palces, then as we went on our way, i saw some other friends that i'd met in cinque terre. so random but such a relief. they'd been there for a few days already so had their bearings and knew where i was meant to go. it was fantastic. so random, and they were there when we really needed them. it was a fantastic couple of days though. we were laughing the whole time. anyway, i'm just going to have a look around athens today and then off to paros (greek islands) tomorrow. i'm so excited. i can't wait. one sleep left til sun, sand and sea.

Advertisement



9th August 2005

Ferry
Lissy as soon as I saw the title I was worried about your sea sickness issues!! You weren't that flash on the ferry to Kangaroo Island so I was glad to hear that you survived so well. You always manage to make a positive out of a potential nightmare, good to see!! Keep on having a ball and enjoy working on that tan.

Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb