Monemvasia Pictures!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
February 23rd 2007
Published: February 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Dinner Friday NightDinner Friday NightDinner Friday Night

Elizabeth, Charlie and I. That Shrimp Spaghetti eventually sent Charlie to the hospital. But, he's okay now.
So, this post is just under 2 weeks late, but that's the way we roll in Greece.

A couple of weeks ago 5 of us went to the lovely little island of Monemvasia. It was a pretty fantastic weekend, though expensive (travelling in Europe is super expensive!). We left from the bus station on Friday Morning (2 weeks ago) and traveled south into Sparta (which is pretty much a dump) and switched buses to go to the little port town of Monemvasia.

Monemvasia is pretty much this huge rock sticking out of the water just off the coast of the Southern Peloponessus. On the far side of the island is a wonderful little medievel city that has been inhabited since the 10th century AD. It feels pretty much like walking around a castle. Lots of people still live there and it's quite touristic. It was definitely a place for couples to come for honeymoons, which caused a lot of the locals to raise eyebrows at our group of college students in February.

We slept 5 people in a 2-person room. But, that was really the only option since rooms were 60 euro a night. We put Logan, Elizabeth
The Main SquareThe Main SquareThe Main Square

This was the center of things.
and Charlie in the bed and Luke and I slept curled on the food floor underneath the extra blankets. We didn't sleep much. BUT, it was a castle that we were sleeping in, so it was pretty cool anyhow.

The highlight of the weekend was when Luke, Logan, Elizabeth and I got up at 5:30 to watch the sunrise over the Aegean. Unfortunately, the pictures do not do justise to the hour or so we spent silently sitting on the rocky shore as the world became slowly bathed in warm light. It was really cool.

We came back Saturday, which was good. Another night on the floor would have been hell. The pictures speak for themselves. It's a really pretty place and I'd recommend visiting if you ever have the chance.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

From the Upper TownFrom the Upper Town
From the Upper Town

The Upper Town is in ruins, unlike the lower town. It's really cool to go up there though. This is a shot of the Lower Town from the Upper Town.
The Way UpThe Way Up
The Way Up

The Steps from the Lower Town to the Upper Town.
ExploringExploring
Exploring

Elizabeth and Charlie Explore the Ruins
I was thereI was there
I was there

See, here's proof that I was at Monemvasia.
The MesoThe Meso
The Meso

This is the main street in the Lower Town. Lots of shops and cafes and the occaisional horse come through.
The BedThe Bed
The Bed

Elizabeth, Logan and Charlie got the bed. Charlie was scandalized at having to sleep with other people.
AnatoliaAnatolia
Anatolia

The sunrise was gorgeous.
The TownThe Town
The Town

It's a pretty place.
The AegeanThe Aegean
The Aegean

Elizabeth, Luke and Logan contemplate life from the top.
Hagia SofiaHagia Sofia
Hagia Sofia

This is a really cool Byzantine Church. Since the 10th century it was been an Orthodox Church, a Catholic Monastery, a Mosque and now it's an Orthodox Church again. Unfortunately we couldn't get in.


23rd February 2007

We are SPARTA!
Sparta may be a dump, but its a bad-ass dumb ya know? If you tell them that your arrows will blot out the sun, then they're like, dude we'll just fight in the shade then. Thats not just like bad ass, thats ninja. So basically the Spartans were cool, and by cool, I mean totally sweet.
24th February 2007

Indeed, it is pretty cool to think that the SPARTANS lived in Sparta. Did you see that new movie? I hear it's crap. But that's from my Ancient Greek teacher here. And he didn't even see it. But, you know, it's just disappointing that none of the glory that was Sparta remains, yet Athens is sweet. Just goes to show that one should always pick sides carefully.

Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.1437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb