The Good Old Days


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
June 6th 2005
Published: June 23rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

The Shaq Daddy of Ancient AthensThe Shaq Daddy of Ancient AthensThe Shaq Daddy of Ancient Athens

When asked if he went to the Parthenon while in Athens, Shaquille O'Neil said, "I don't remember the names of the clubs we went to.
Beep. Beep. Beep. No sound hurts more after a night of Red bull Vodkas, Ouzo shots, bourbon, beer and whatever else was put in front of us the night before. If you told me we had knocked back draino shots last night I’d be hard pressed to argue.

Unfortunately for me (and even more so for Sung) this was our only day to do any sightseeing in Athens so I was not going to let a hangover, sleep depravation or beer separation anxiety hinder my getting cultured. The funny thing about those “higher end” hangovers though is that the motivation gene stops working. I didn’t even roll out of the hotel until 3:30 and roll is putting it mildly. With Sung pulling up lame entirely (and yes, he had less liquor than me) it was a one horse race to get as much history in before the group had to meet at Mitchell’s Bar for Jill Birthday Dinner and yet another night of drinking like prohibition was on the rebound.

After navigating though the Athens subway(and I thought it smelled bad on the outside), I trekked down to the base of the Acropolis. In a Clark Griswold inspired fashion,
Happy Birthday Jill!!!Happy Birthday Jill!!!Happy Birthday Jill!!!

On the deck, with the Acropolis in the background. Now this is how you rally the night after a bachelor party!
I powered through the Theatre of Dionysus, The Temple of Athena Nike, The Propylaia, The Parthenon, The Acropolis Museum, The Erechtheion and The Big Fat Greek Wedding Chapel in a little over an hour.

After sweating to the oldies in 85 degree weather, combined with the dehydration from the night before, I enjoyed the best orange slushie in the history of mankind. If you think the orange drink at McDonalds cures hangovers, you gotta try one of the slushies the sell just in front of the entrance to the Acropolis.

Once my brain freeze subsided, I headed over to the Temple of Zeus, which they've really ruined. I mean they might as well call it 8 huge columns and assorted marble bric-a-brac. (Quick call the The Extreme Makeover: Home Editon crew STAT!) Since there were no placards of any kind, the complex could have been the local vomitorium and I'd be none the wiser. (It was still really impressive though) Next to the "Alleged" Temple of Zeus was the Greek National Gardens, which while cool to walk through, I failed to find any historical significance to the park. That aside I did get some pretty good shots. (Pictures
No-See-Ums No-See-Ums No-See-Ums

Jen shows off her best paty trick as our time in Athens draws to a close.
not drinks)

After the park I met back up with the other hoodlums (Sung, Gib, Kellie, Karen, Jason, Jen, Erica, Nick and Beth) on the private rooftop deck above Mitchell's: a new restaurant/bar a stone's throw from the Acropolis to celebrate Jill's Birthday. What's really impressive is the fact that John (her husband) was able to put together a Dinner for 12 catered on a private deck above the newest hot spot in town (with the great view of the Acropolis) while staying at a hotel with no concierge. Pulling this off basically puts the Male Sloth and Insensitivity movement back 30 years. How are we supposed to get away with TV Dinners and Costco jewelry with loose cannons like him running around?

Dinner was great and although some of us wanted to camp overnight on the deck, we eventually moved downstairs to the Bar and drank until they kicked us out for being typical loud Americans. After trying our luck at a few more Athens bars, our impending 10AM flight to Santorini finally got the best of us. When John decided to go for a quick jog around the city, the rest of us packed it in.

Stat of the Day
2 AM

The time we went to bed on our last night in Athens. I know I know, tame by our standards but not every night on this trip can be as wild as the house party in Weird Science now can it?

Next stop Santorini!!!
Matt


Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.048s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb