The Travel Expert's Souvenir


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens » Pláka
October 16th 2023
Published: October 16th 2023
Edit Blog Post

“Beyond finding beautiful crafts at local markets, one of my favorite travel souvenirs is a magnet. It fits perfectly in your personal item, every destination has one, it’s affordable and each time you open your refrigerator to grab a snack, you’re reminded of all of the incredible places you’ve been. The fridge is the Louvre of the home, after all.” ― Melissa DaSilva, president of Trafalgar, North America
One of the most exciting and appealing tourist souvenirs is a bagpipe-shaped fridge magnet that a user bought at a Scottish airport. Despite its apparent touristy nature, this charming keepsake has a special place in this person’s heart because when they click its button, they hear the recognizable music “Scotland the Brave” played on bagpipes.

Its charm lies in the nostalgia it evokes and the ability to smile every time they see it—a cherished reminder of the journey to Scotland and the joy of embracing the lighthearted aspects of travel.

My magnet collection started when I was working and had a metal locker for my personal items. When I went into management and was given an office, I used the file cabinets. Now that I am retired, I am certain there are no refrigerators large enough to hold my travel magnets. So, I would say hundreds are stored in a box somewhere in my garage.

I bought them because they are relatively small, easy to pack, and provide a nice memory of the places I have been fortunate enough to visit. Are they perfect? Yes, for me, maybe not for everyone. I have friends who collect things like Starbucks coffee mugs, sewing thimbles, tea cups, spoons, beer mugs, beer coasters, T shirts, transit tickets, and golf balls (who would do that?)!!!!
Bonus information:
“Hodophobia can result from different types of experiences or exposures,” Pathak said. “It may be that an individual experienced a traumatic event while traveling themselves or heard of a major world event — like a deadly plane crash — and developed the fear based on hearing about the tragedy. Often, traumatizing travel experiences in childhood can leave a lasting imprint that can play a role in developing the phobia later in life.”

Basically, the person made some connection between travel and a negative experience. Leno noted that thoughts of something traumatic occurring while a person is away from home might drive their fear.
This explains why I would never go back to Italy. And why I do not celebrate my birthday. I learned of my Father's death on my birthday, since he died two days prior while I was in Europe. But it certainly has not kept me from going elsewhere.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb