All Things Acropolis In a Day


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens » Pláka
June 13th 2021
Published: June 13th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Thunderstorms have been forecast for the rest of the week but the storms were forecast in the afternoon. We’d read, also, that we should visit the Acropolis early in the day; 1 to avoid the masses of tourists and 2 to avoid the heat of the afternoon. We also figured that we’d avoid any afternoon storms. The plan was to get to the Acropolis about 8:30 am, talk our time there and then go to the museum. We thought we’d get lunch at the café in the museum then see visit the museum, enjoying cooler air and avoiding any rain.

We got up by 7, out the door by 8 and at the entry gate by 8:15. As there was no line we got right in and started our visit.

Walking up the path to the Acropolis is a not as steep as some hikes but still steep. However, there are many ruins and sites to divert one’s attention so that it makes the walk up seem easier. There were temples, buildings for people to gather and a stadium all on 2 sides. Another side has houses built into the hill that we saw on a walk a few days ago.

We made lots of stops but then finally got to the top after a series of marble steps close to the top. When one comes up the steps then you walk around the wall and there it is, the amazing entry. The entry is made larger as it is on the hill top so you are looking up. We were so lucky as not many people were there at all.

The Parthenon is a massive structure that is undergoing restoration. But even with the scaffolding along the side it is impressive. Just like the ancient time when it was built, one cannot go in, but with walls down inside we can see inside.

https://ancient-greece.org/architecture/parthenon.html

A 2nd favorite is the Erechtheion, a smaller, 2-story temple. There are wonderful sculptures on one side and because it is built partially on the side of the hill, the top floor is open to see into and the bottom floor is partially visible thru the door and window.

After wondering around for about 3 hours it started to get really hot on top and we noted that more people were entering. It was time to go down to the lower elevations where there are trees and not so many people.

We made our way over to the Acropolis Museum where we knew it would be nice inside. Besides, the sky was getting darker and with thunderstorms in the forecast we thought we’d be safer in there.

First things first, we were hungry and had read about the Museum Café, that would be our first stop. After buying tickets we headed for the Café.

Due to Covid, there is no indoor seating at the Café, but the outdoor seating has a really nice view of the Acropolis. It was warm but we found a table under the awning so it wasn’t so bad. With a nice cup of iced coffee, we were feeling fine and some food, we felt much better.

The museum is quite extensive with videos on the 3rd floor. There are several different videos and 1. It gives one a break from walking and standing and 2. They explain various things.

The museum and Acropolis made for a long day and we slept well that night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

ErechtheionErechtheion
Erechtheion

Front upstairs and entry downstairs


Tot: 0.399s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0737s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb