Cologne


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
November 7th 2013
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 50.9411, 6.95984

The Rhine and it's tributaries are swollen with recent heavy rains. Our Cruise Director calls us the "rain dodgers" because we've only had occasional light drizzle so far.

After the obligatory visit to the Cologne Cathedral (another impressive but gloomy gothic structure), Dick and I visited museums while the girls shopped. We learned that 4711 is a counterfeit Eau de Cologne. The original, created by the Farina family in 1709 and still marketed by them from their original shop is referred to as Farina E d C.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement

Cologne Cathedral RelicsCologne Cathedral Relics
Cologne Cathedral Relics

Inside this ancient golden reliquary are the bones and clothing of the biblical three magi. The relics were stolen from Milan in 1164. Looks like the inspiration for the Arc of the Covenant in "Raiders", to me.
The original Eau de CologneThe original Eau de Cologne
The original Eau de Cologne

The Farina product is the original. It was widely used by 18th© French officers and it's popularity spawned many copies. 4711 is the street number of a rival factory that copied the product, and whose marketing was apparently better.


8th November 2013

Hi Rob and SelHave you manged to lose any of the cruise guests yet or does Scenic wait for late comers? Your room looks great and so quiet. Hopefully you have found some kindred spirits on board, It makes all the difference,
8th November 2013

Cruise is lovely and our fellow passengers are wonderfully punctual. We haven't had to wait for latecomers at all. Bit rainy in Cologne, curtailed my shopping plans!

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb